3 CW Remington Revolver pick up

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
tokashikibob

3 CW Remington Revolver pick up

Post by tokashikibob »

Hello, I was lucky enough to buy 3 Rems over the weekend and think they are all CW era numbers.
New Model Army #43338 This one has initials craved into grip
New Model Army #80736
New Model Navy that has been converted and engraved: #42947

Can anyone confirm the years of manufacture? If any interest I'll post some pictures in the future.
Best regards,
Bob
billt

Re: 3 CW Remington Revolver pick up

Post by billt »

Hi,
NMA serial number 43338 was made in November of 1863. The "initials carved in the grip" is most likely the Principal sub inspectors cartouche indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department. NMA serial number 80736 was made in June of 1864. If there is no cartouche on the grip and there are small letters on the major parts it may have worn off with use. If there are no small letters the revolver is a civilian gun which may or may not have been used during the War. The highest serial numbered Navy revolver sold to the Government during the Civil War was 33600. It was not delivered until December of 1865 well after the war ended. I do not believe Remington production records exist post Civil War. In any event the Government did not buy engraved revolvers so your Navy revolver was not a CW revolver. According to Don Ware’s book Remington continued making percussion Navy revolvers into the 1870’s. It was around 1871 after the Rollin White patent expired that Remington started converting already made percussion Navy revolvers to cartridge. Don thought the serial number range of these converted revolvers was from around 36000 to around 42000. Another 6000 were made as cartridge revolvers with production serial numbers ending around 48000. Revolvers, which were converted from percussion, will have assembly numbers stamped on the various parts so the revolver being converted could be reassembled with the proper parts. Revolvers built as cartridge revolvers will have no assembly numbers.

I hope this helps,

Bill
tokashikibob

Re: 3 CW Remington Revolver pick up

Post by tokashikibob »

Bill, Thank you very much for taking the time to look up the information and writing the message! I will make some new tags/cards for the revolvers with your info.

Best regards,
Bob