Help with Barrel Identification?

brianjwillis

Help with Barrel Identification?

Post by brianjwillis »

Greetings!

I have an 870 but that's not what brings me here...

I inherited from my father what I have determined to be a Model 10. Remington was able to date the receiver to 1917 but was no help on the barrel and recommended I come here. Searching the "RS / Post - 1898" sub-forum was not much help because it rejects the words "model" and "10" and "barrel" as too common or too short. <sigh>

Here's a portion of my question to Remington, related specifically to the barrel -- can anyone point me in the right direction?
The left side of the barrel is marked with what appears to be:
MOD ^
ZYY3 <some_symbol> KC3

The "<some_symbol>" is perhaps a double-struck lemma (infinity sign) with two vertical lines near the center? It is not distinct.

The right side of the barrel is marked with:
275 865
U

(and perhaps a dot before the U?)

The complete barrel assembly measures approximately 28".
Does the right side of the barrel indicate it is from a later gun? (#275,865?) I'm guessing the left-side markings indicate a factory modification at some later date, perhaps?

Can anyone shed more light, also, on the receiver itself? It is 154180.

Thanks in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with Barrel Identification?

Post by admin »

brianjwillis wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 am Greetings!

I have an 870 but that's not what brings me here...

I inherited from my father what I have determined to be a Model 10. Remington was able to date the receiver to 1917 but was no help on the barrel and recommended I come here. Searching the "RS / Post - 1898" sub-forum was not much help because it rejects the words "model" and "10" and "barrel" as too common or too short. <sigh>

Here's a portion of my question to Remington, related specifically to the barrel -- can anyone point me in the right direction?
The left side of the barrel is marked with what appears to be:
MOD ^
ZYY3 <some_symbol> KC3

The "<some_symbol>" is perhaps a double-struck lemma (infinity sign) with two vertical lines near the center? It is not distinct.

The right side of the barrel is marked with:
275 865
U

(and perhaps a dot before the U?)

The complete barrel assembly measures approximately 28".
Does the right side of the barrel indicate it is from a later gun? (#275,865?) I'm guessing the left-side markings indicate a factory modification at some later date, perhaps?

Can anyone shed more light, also, on the receiver itself? It is 154180.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not an expert...
The frame is 1917, the barrel I believe is early 1932 but maybe that was the barrel replacement in 1934 (from KC3) 3 meaning a factory authorize repair and possibly another (Z doesn't work) but YY would be 1953.

So real point I was going to make and leave it to the experts who will probably correct me, yeah the search can be difficult.
Try googling
Site:remingtonsociety.org SEARCH WORDS
that just tell google to dump what it's got by it's searched for this site first.
brianjwillis

Post by brianjwillis »

Thank you, admin! This is helpful. This shotgun seems to have some mystery surrounding it so I want to learn more about it. My half-brother said our father wanted me to have it but didn't know anything about it except that it had been Dad's favorite.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

275865 would be from late may 1928, right at the end of Model 10 production before Remington Arms Co., Inc. switched to the Model 29. Posting pictures of all the various markings on your gun would help us answer questions about it.
brianjwillis

Post by brianjwillis »

Thank you, Researcher!

Here are a couple photos I took a while back. I thought I had one of the other side of the barrel but I don't find it now -- I'll take another one and post it soon.
KIMG0039.JPG
KIMG0041.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.