Rolling Block Sporter project

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Rolling Block Sporter project

Post by marlinman93 »

I feel like a kid on a trip asking, "Are we there yet"?
Well the answer is YES! The postman delivered a nice big shipping crate a few minutes ago, and I couldn't get it open fast enough! Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Blue really outdid himself! (Is that really possible?) His colors on the action are as good as it gets, and spot on for a Remington!

I let Al do the polishing on the barrel since it wasn't fitted when I sent it to him. He always does a little extra touch up work anyway, and this barrel is perfection! As is his usual great rust bluing! The work done by Pat at C Sharps to fit and chamber is equally great!

Wood is some of the leftovers from Remington's late 1990's run. This is their high grade custom shop wood.

Barrel is a 34" #3.5 weight Green Mountain .40 caliber. It is chambered in the old .40-50 Sharps Straight. 
Still need to mount up the wood I fitted prior to sending it to Al Springer, but I'll get that taken care of this weekend.
marlinman93

Re: Rolling Block Sporter project

Post by marlinman93 »

Slipped the stocks on just to get a picture.

JimMill

Post by JimMill »

Nice rifle. Great job. I really like the look of a round top action with an octagon barrel.

Jim
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

JimMill wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:12 am Nice rifle. Great job. I really like the look of a round top action with an octagon barrel.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I originally planned on getting a later smokeless action and milling it to octagon top Sporting Rifle configuration. But after getting an original round top, octagon barrel Sporter, I liked that look better. So I set the octagon top receiver idea aside, and went with the round top instead. Usually I regret not doing something a certain way, so I didn't want to have any regrets on this build. It will see a lot of shooting.
I'm glad that I was able to keep it all Remington, except the barrel. Even if it is different generations of metal and wood.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

SWEET! AND very Jealous! Love an octagon bbl!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Oscar!
I love all the various barrel configurations on Sporters, except the lightweight round barrels. Just never warmed up to those, and prefer the heavy, long barrels more.
Pistol grip Sporters that are original have evaded me, as they are usually only cheap if they're restored or built up. Originals in nice shape are extremely expensive. So I figured if I'm going to own this style of Rolling Block, I might as well build it as I'd save money, and know exactly what I had.
millsan1

Post by millsan1 »

That is a beautiful gun. Very impressive piece for sure.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

millsan1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:39 pm That is a beautiful gun. Very impressive piece for sure.
Thank you!
The Custom Shop wood, and Remington pistol grip trigger plate make for a nice package, and saved me a ton of work bending and reshaping a military tang that would still be too short.