Eddystone 1917 Nov1918 Factory Sporter w MIL parts

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rebel Jake

Eddystone 1917 Nov1918 Factory Sporter w MIL parts

Post by Rebel Jake »

I have an Eddystone 1917 manufactured ser no of Nov1918.
Based on much reading, including on RSA, it appears to be a factory sporterized Mod 30 prototype w MIL parts manufactured in conjunction with the NOV 1918 armistice.

Of course all the "experts" and collectors I have encountered thus far merely see it as a Bubba sporterized 1917 that is of less value than a pure MIL Spec version.

I would like to know if the opinion thus far is accurate, or is the uniqueness of this pre-Mod30 of the eventual Mod30, but using the MIL parts on hand at the close of the MIL contract, potentially a more valuable collector?

Thus far it is the research, serial no 1191545 and 5 grove MIL rifling that causes my assessment of it being a Factory Sporter of Mod30 before the Mod30 was released/introduced using remaining parts on-hand.

I look forward to more knowledgeable insight, history and opinion of value regarding this rifle. Pics available to knowledgeable parties of interest.

Thank you,
Roy Marcot

Re: Eddystone 1917 Nov1918 Factory Sporter w MIL parts

Post by Roy Marcot »

Jake,

I cannot comment without seeing detailed photographs of your rifle. Send them to me at: roymarcot@msn.com

But a few thoughts...

The military bolt action rifles made by Remington in the 1930s were fabricated in Ilion. It makes more sense that they would utilize left-over Model 1917 parts made in Ilion, rather than parts from Eddystone.

In 1933, Crawford C. Loomis and other Remington designers fabricated the first prototype Remington Model of 1933 Military Rifle in 7mm Mauser caliber utilizing an Enfield M1917 action and other parts. The following year Remington received a contract to make 3,000 of these military bolt action rifles for Honduras, each chambered for 7x57mm Mauser centerfire ammunition, and these were called Model of 1934 Military Rifles. About 500 were fabricated in 1934, and 2,500 in 1935, utilizing the same receivers as those in Remington Model 30S Express Rifles. Each were fitted for the standard Springfield-pattern bayonet. Soon after, Nicaragua placed a large order for these rifles in .30-06 SPRG caliber, but the contract was never consummated.

Remington Model of 1934 Military Rifles were referred to in the factory as Model 40 rifles. In mid-1934, Remington made up ten prototype Model 40 military-style rifles in different calibers and barrel lengths, hopefully to interest would-be buyers in Central and South America. Some were stamped Model of 1934 Military Rifle and others Model of 1935 Military Rifle.

Remington salesmen attempted in vain to interest military interests in Ecuador, Bolivia, Cuba, and the Republic of Haiti in these military rifles. Calibers fabricated and contemplated included .30-06 SPRG, 7x57mm Mauser, 7.65 Bolivian, 7.65 Brazilian, 7.92mm Mauser, 8mm (7.99 Mauser Special), 8mm (7.9 Mauser), and 8mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
Rebel Jake

Post by Rebel Jake »

Thank you for the response Roy.
Sent you some pics as requested.
Please let me know of specific pics that would be helpful.
1917enfield

Post by 1917enfield »

I have a friend who has a Model 30 and the bolt sits way down on a field gauge when checking headspace.

The serial number is three digits under 400 !

I read that Remington used "spare parts"..... after the war. I would assume that used parts were used based on the gauged rifle of my friend.