Something bothers me on my Remington Belt model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Patbar

Something bothers me on my Remington Belt model

Post by Patbar »

I recently acquired a nice Remington SA Belt Model, but something bothers me : on all my Remingtons, Navy, Police or Pocket, the hammer is checkered, but on this Belt, it is simply ribbed.

Could this hammer still be original or has it been replaced with one coming from an titalian replica ?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
_B160003.jpg
_B160003.jpg (240.35 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Remington Belt droit.jpg
Remington Belt droit.jpg (262.46 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Remington Belt gauche.jpg
Remington Belt gauche.jpg (263.35 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
aardq

Re: Something bothers me on my Remington Belt model

Post by aardq »

Hi,

I've checked Ware's book on the Army Navy models and found nothing on any hammers that have serrations instead of knurling. Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer.
SIGP2101

Post by SIGP2101 »

Only about 2500 of these were made and all have checkered not serrated hammer.
Also, faint machining marks in your pic indicate a modern machining technique and not consistent with the rest of the wear on the gun.

Original look:
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Patbar,

First, there were just over 10,000 Belt Models made between 1863 and 1886. From an on going survey, the SAs appear to be about 40% of the total. The hammer serrations are very unusual on Remingtons, but not unheard of. Belts were made as both percussion, and later as cartridge versions.

What is the serial number, and do all three numbers match? The number may also be penciled on one or both of the grips.

I'm unaware of any replica Belt Models being made, but it is possible. If made, I have no idea if the parts are interchangeable.

We can speculate all we want, but may never be able to find out about the serrations.
Dan
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Patbar,

Here's a PS. The serial number will be on the underside of the barrel, the lower, left grip frame, and the tab on the trigger guard.

Dan