Remington 14 feeding issues

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gamemaster06

Remington 14 feeding issues

Post by Gamemaster06 »

My Model 14 in 35 rem is having feeding problems with factory 200gr. core lokts. It's not lifting the shell up high enough to feed into the chamber. I believe I need a carrier dog spring. Can anyone help me out with finding one?
nambujim

Re: Remington 14 feeding issues

Post by nambujim »

I have a supply of new made ones using 4140 wire or old/used ones.
Send me your guard and I will install the new one for $43 or an old one for $38.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey!

You can test your "dog" by flipping it back/forth against your fingernail, it should flip in either direction with some vigor and "smart" a bit when it hits your fingernail. If its working properly then your problem "might" be with the carrier or the carrier friction plunger, the carrier should ride easily in the channel, if it is binding that can be a problem with feed as well. I just made a posting about how poor the fit was on parts for late serial 141's and the carriers were part of that. I'm sure you know that you have to pull out the complete tube/action bar to check the carrier.

The best fix for late serial 35's is the substitution of a complete set of matched parts from an early rifle. Bolt, Stop, & Complete action bar with carrier. I also have several sets of these in .35 Caliber.

The main/major cause of poor feed on these rifles is the ammunition but since you are using factory stuff we can eliminate that, the next major cause is the carrier dog spring.

For info.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

How much would it be for you to just send me a spring? I'd like to fix it myself. Appreciate the offer though.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, some of my best customers install their own parts.

Let me just say that only about 50% of the springs will fit on the first try but if I lined up all the springs in my parts bin, there would be no two alike. Installing them is pretty straight forward if you have done it 20 or 30 times but rarely do I get it done on the first try. Any of the springs might fit, some might have to be trimmed, and then tested to make sure they work properly. Its also easy to bend them out of shape during installation.

That being said.......$21 delivered. Take your pick excellent used ones or new made.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Jim, how can I contact you privately to further discuss this?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

My email is all over the site so what the heck:

nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com

See Ya
Jim Peterson
Red

Post by Red »

Hi All,

If the mods want to drag this into it's own thread - no hard feelings, however it appears I am having an identical issue to 'Gamemaster' so figured this would be a good place to ask.

I have a model 14 1/2 in .44-40, recently purchased 'sight unseen' from the other side of the country - 'functions flawlessly' stated the seller..... :roll:

The rifle cycles fine, and will feed factory ammo with a small meplat about 40% of the time, but the rest of the time only lifts the shell about halfway up, and the nose of the projectile jams on the rear of the chamber on the forward stroke.

Having read the above thread it would appear that the carrier dog spring might be due for a renew, and it certainly is a bit on the slack side to my uneducated eyes. My question is - should the dog stand erect on its own if the spring is in good nick? Mine sits on about a 45 degree angle facing either fowards or backwards. If that seems a bit on the worn side I will be in the market for a new one.

Any advice appreciated.
Red.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Red!

The carrier dog should flip back/forth with some vigor. If you flip it back against your thumbnail it should smart just a bit, if it lays limp then for sure it needs to be replaced. Since you are using factory ammo we can usually eliminate that as the cause of poor feed, the next culprit would be the carrier dog spring, and that would be followed by a sticky carrier. The channel the carrier moves in can collect all sorts of stuff including burnt powder, slivers of lead, old oil turned to varnish, and the like. Sometimes the carrier friction plunger has too much pressure, to make a long story short, the carrier should move freely in the channel.

You would need to remove the action bar/tube to really clean the carrier and the channel. I can replace your carrier dog spring for $50 including return postage (priority mail). You would need to send me your trigger guard.

That's the story!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Red

Post by Red »

Thanks Jim, I'll send you an email in the next week or so with 'just the facts'.

Cheers,
Red.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, my email address is all over the RSA site but:

nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com
Jim Peterson