Remington 14 problem (solved)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
freebird

Remington 14 problem (solved)

Post by freebird »

Hello,
I've been reading you all for a while, and my first post here will be a call for help.

I acquired a very good looking Rem 14 in .30Rem.

However brass is hard to comme by in Europe and I cut a .30-30 on the lathe to make a dummy cartridge and test the rifle.
I made sure the cartridge length was the same as the one original round I own.
I closed the rifle on the case, dry fired it -the dummy had a used primer in - and... I can't reopen the rifle.

Any idea as to why this happen, and how I can proceed to clear it.

There's no danger, the round is not live, but the rifle is now as useful as a stick...

Many thansk in advance for your help.
Last edited by freebird on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
nambujim

Re: Remington 14 problem

Post by nambujim »

Well, I've been telling folks for 30-40 years how fussy these rifles are about brass but understand your problem!! About 20-25% of brass made from re-cut 30-30 brass works and I wouldn't trust it at all.

You or the readers are NOT going to like my favorite way of clearing something like this but over that same time period it has worked every time for me...........and you have my best wishes for success!

Remove the magazine plug, magazine spring & follower!
Place a nylon block against the front of the magazine tube.
...............and beat on the nylon block until the action clears!
(make sure the release button on the bolt is in the depressed position)
Don't try this with a piece of wood, the mag tube will just cut into it.
You might be surprised how easy it will free up and/or I might be surprised that it doesn't clear, I predict it will let go pretty easily. I do use a dead blow (rubber) hammer but doubt it will make much difference.

OH..............I might add that I have NEVER damaged a magazine tube using this method.

Best regards!
Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
freebird

Post by freebird »

Hi Nambujim,
thank you very much for your answer;
I was quite certain I was not the first one to get his gun jammed this way :D , and also quite sure you would have the knowledge to help me.

I'll gather the neccessary material (i.e. the piece of nylon) and will let you know when I get to clear the jam.

As for the brass used: it is almost impossible to import brass from the US to Europe nowadays, and finding original .30Rem brass of ammo is quite a quest.
The recut 30-30 seemed to work well in a Remington 81 a friend of mine uses, I thought I'd give it a go... :oops: I must have been far too lazy in the geométry of the rim...

Again, thank you veru much for the kindness with which you help us all Rem 14 owners.
Best regards
Gilles
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Roger that, while the 81 & 14 might be of the same caliber they act/feed very differently. Seriously, I think you will find the action clears easily and as Tom Hemphill observed "maybe the firing pin pierced the primer".

If it is any consolation, getting "quality" 30 Remington brass here is a problem since Remington stopping making it. The after market stuff in my opinion is not up to standard!

Good luck!

Jim Peterson
Sunny & warm Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
freebird

Post by freebird »

Dear Nambujim,
you are now officially my hero :D
I'd never have thought banging with a rubber mallet on the end of the magazine tube of my rifle was an acceptable practice (and actually worked like a charm)

Thank you very much again.

Now begins the quest for .30 Rem brass or original ammos in France... Wish me luck :mrgreen:

Best regards
Gilles
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Nice 14 with a TNS cut & bolt, fairly rare, and very cool.

Can you give us the serial so we can add it to the Hemphill data base AND does it have both the cross bolt safety in the trigger guard and the safety on the bolt? These rifles run in the 70,000 range.

Glad it worked, was pretty sure it would...........I've been banging on them for a very long time.

Jim
Jim Peterson
freebird

Post by freebird »

I do not know enough about these gun to judge if mine is rare or not, so thank you for highlighting the point.

Its S/N is C 77 413
It had both safeties, but the trigger guard safety was disabled at some point and is not active any longer.

I also have a 14 1/2 in 44-40, serial c 67754.

I'll have many questions about this one too as it does not works at the moment and I am currently trying to figure out why :D

Best regards
Gilles
freebird

Post by freebird »

nambujim

Re: Remington 14 problem (solved)

Post by nambujim »

Giles!

Thanks for the info! Looking at the close up pic of the TNS rifle, that is a factory installed blank where the safety would be in the triggerguard. It isn't something someone just stuck in there, it actually makes the rifle a bit more rare. Thanks for the info, we'll add it to our data base.

Jim
Jim Peterson
freebird

Post by freebird »

Hello Jim,
thank you for the explanation.
I acquired the gun in Germany, and the seller (a gunsmith) stated that the trigger guard safety had been previously deactivated. I thought he had solid info :D
Obviously not.
No point trying to get a safety installed then :P

many thanks again for all the informations.

Gilles
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

Hi,
I have 4-5 boxes of factory .30 Remington Ammo. If you are still interested, what would be your best offer for all? I can send photos if you like.
John
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

John!

Are you offering it to me or the guy in France who had the problem?

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
former173rd

Post by former173rd »

HI Jim,
to you....I'll not try to ship ammo out of the US....as I mentioned there is 5 boxes full...1 Dominion and 4 Remington, and 1 box of Remington less 1 rd. Looks like all 170 gr. stuff.
John (born in Wilmington, NC)
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

John!

My sincere thanks but doubt my offer of $100 will hold water but I
don't really need them but always have customers that will ask if I have any to spare. I "try" to keep my prices low and reasonable since most owners of these rifles aren't exactly wealthy. Let me know, you can email me direct at: nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com

I sincerely appreciate the offer.........where are you living now?

...........and what is 173rd??

Jim
Jim Peterson
freebird

Post by freebird »

Wow, juste realised it has taken me 3 years to gather .30Rem reloading tools and brass and make up a few rounds and give it a try (as a feeble excuse, it is not my only gun :roll: )

So, with very big thanks to Nambujim for his guidance regarding these beautiful if somewhat capricious rifles, I've finally managed to cycle and fire three test rounds through the gun with zero issue. One of the brass got a damaged lip, but Jim has told us many times how brutal the 14 can be, so no surprise there.

Now, to reload 50 rounds and go for a proper test later this week.
You may see a target after that (or not depending how ridiculous my results are :D )