1889 Remington double barrel shotgun hammer and two hammer screws

Kip90

1889 Remington double barrel shotgun hammer and two hammer screws

Post by Kip90 »

I'm new to RSA but thought someone may help me locate one left hammer and two hammer screws I need to restore two 1889 Remington double barrel hammer shotguns. These have been in our family probably since they were new and were passed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me. I want to restore them if I can but two start I need the parts above. Otherwise the guns are in relatively good condition considering they were stored in closets over the last one hundred some years. One of them was the first shotgun I used to hunt as a boy. With a little care I think I can restore them to very good condition. So, if anyone out there can help I would appreciate any help to find these parts.
One of the serial numbers is 236765 but I'm not exactly sure when it was manufactured so if anyone can help with that I would appreciate that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dieNusse1

Re: 1889 Remington double barrel shotgun hammer and two hammer screws

Post by dieNusse1 »

Your '89 was made in 1903. The '89 was made from 1888 until 1910 when all Remington doubles were discontinued as Remington saw the future with their new pump and auto loader. As for parts, I'd try Garland Jackson at 330-669-2138.

The 1 stamped to the left of the S/N indicates it's a grade 1 with decarbonized steel barrels. Grade 2 (better) has twist steel barrels while Grade 3 (best) has Damascus steel barrels. Grades 4 through 7 were special order only.

Good luck!
Last edited by dieNusse1 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kip90

Post by Kip90 »

Thank you for the quick response and the information. I will try to reach out to Garland.
Kip90

Post by Kip90 »

dieNusse1:
Thanks for your earlier information. The second 1889 has a serial number of 3 82337 and appears to be a little newer than the other. I can't separate the barrels from the receiver yet. It appears that the bolt doesn't retract all the way in the receiver. The lever does not hit the hammer but stops just short of it. I can take it apart I think and get it to release unless you have a better idea. If you would be so kind as to tell me what the date of this one is I would appreciate it very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

S/N 82337 left the factory in 1898. The 3 indicates it has Damascus barrels. Remington stated these guns were suitable for the smokeless powders of the day. Many of us fire low pressure smokeless loads (~5000 psi).

This gun appears to be the "lite" weight version as it has metal milled from the water table and should also have metal milled from the barrels flats and locking lug.

From the picture, your barrels should separate. I have one that take some giggling to get the barrels off.
Kip90

Post by Kip90 »

Huh! It's older than the previous gun. It is in better condition so I thought it may be a little newer. It does have Damascus barrels. Thanks again for the dating. I haven't heard from Mr. Jackson yet but I left a message for him. Once I get these in better shape I will post pictures.

Thanks again for your help.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

What is your question or issue? Can't tell from your post.