MODEL 14 & 141 RELOADING/CRIMPING / Bulletin #9

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Weithy

Re: MODEL 14 & 141 RELOADING/CRIMPING / Bulletin #9

Post by Weithy »

Wow, you have been busy. Maybe I should start asking you about gun control. I think that you would have a meeting with the president in the morning. :-) Not to swell your head or anything but you do seem like an authority on the model 14/141's. I appreciate your help on this and will try the .323's and will probably try some of the cast lead stuff also. Do you remember how much had to be cut out of the 30/30 Lee factory crimp die for the .32? Was it as easy as .013?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

None had to be cut off the die, just backed it up a scooch......it was quite simple but then Hemphill & Ken Blauch gave me directions. Ken explained that the dies have a "built in" tolerance or margin of error if you will so the dies works without ANY alteration. Trust me when I say it was easy, took maybe a minute to set it up. The only change I made was to use a locking ring with a setscrew instead of the one with the gasket that Lee proivdes. I just can't get used to the gasket, it works just fine for almost everyone else but when I set something I don't want to mess with it again..........ever.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Weithy

Post by Weithy »

Jim,
Thanks again for the info. I just studied a factory crimp die that I have for a 7mm and understand what your describing. I'll let you know how things turn out. I'm ordering everything tonight.

Eric
olskool

Post by olskool »

i have a model 14r in 30 rem. i fought with flat point bullets and it almost jamed every time. i have a box of factory r n rem. and they worked perfect. i took my carbine apart a couple of times and wondered why it would no work with fp bullets? then i checked the seating length, that was the difference. i seated the sierra 150gr. fp just a little deeper, just at the top of the crimp groove then i hollow pointed them with a forster hp tool that took off a small amount of lead off the tip and it gave me the correct length as the factory ammo and they now work perfect.
Weithy

Post by Weithy »

Jim,
The .323 round nose works great. They cycle perfectly and is a blast to shoot. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on these old guns. I can't wait to take a deer next year and be the 3rd generation to do so.
Eric
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Weithy!

Hey, glad that worked out for you with the .323 Bullets, I've been using them for a long time without a problem and in my opinion they group better than the .321 diameter but again that's my opinion. A lot of the info I pass along here originates from Ken Blauch & Tom Hemphill, between the three of us we seem to be able to work through most problems with these quirky old rifles.

Take care & behave!

Jim Peterson
Snowy Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
LeftyDon

Post by LeftyDon »

Jim, thanks for the information on what will and won't work in these guns. I do have 3 boxes of old 30 Remington Western silvertips and a box of old Core-lock's, but don't know if I should shoot them or sell them to collectors and pocket some cash. :lol: I was hoping to pick up some new 30 Remington brass for reloading with Remington bullets, but the supply has dried up at the moment and so will need to reload once fired brass from some off brand modern cartridges (using Remington brass) that I did manage to pick up over the last few years. Finding any bullets for reloading these days has been a challenge and so went ahead and I bought 170 grain Sierra Power Jacket flat nose and hope to not have too many jam problems since I'm forewarned about them. I might try the nose modification on some dummy rounds and see if that works.
LeftyDon

Post by LeftyDon »

Hornady 150 grain .30 cal round nose bullets (Hornady 3035) are in stock (at the moment) at Natchez Shooting supplies.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Jim

Know this is an old post, but looking at a Mdl 14 in 32 Rem, and dies. And guess what I found?!? Lee NOW makes a 32 Remington FCD!!!! See url below (Midway). And price is RIGHT!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/39476 ... -crimp-die
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

and then... a (dumb)? Can you use 32 Winchester Special dies to load 32 Remington? with obviously a specific 32 Rem shellholder... Thanx!

Update... Looking at the specs for both. Would appear NOT! 32 Rem seems to be a few thou smaller in key areas, plus a diff shoulder, which means that the 32 WS dies will most likely not size the Rem down to req'd size to cycle in the Rem. Bummer - as the 32 Rem Redding dies are $80!
lesb

Post by lesb »

Hmmmm......well, I sure want to thank all of the posters on this thread, I've read tgem all....I'm just getting into the Remington 141 in .35 Rem., and have found all of this information quite educational. I have reloaded since 1970, but this is my first foray into the Remington caliber ammo. I'm starting to accumulate some brass, and have bought a set of dies, and some 200 gr soft point (Round Nose) bullets. I'll let you guys know his it works out.
Best Regards, Les

NRA Benefactor Member
Weithy

Post by Weithy »

Hey guys,
I was asking Jim years ago about loading ammo for the model 14 in a .32. Just saw that Buffalo Arms is now making .32 Remington ammo in 170gr round nose for the model 14’s. Expensive but available.