This is a frustrating Board

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

I have been a member of the Remington SOA for well over 4 years. I have been a serious collector for over 25 years and am redirecting my collecting into Single shot rifles with attention to carbines. On four threads dated 21, 22, 23 and 25 July I have asked for assistance from the knowledgeable members for over 2 weeks concerning the possibility of this carbine being a variant of one of the few, maybe 20 sold in 1886 (2 years prior to the change from the two line tang rollstamp) by B,H&G to Uruguay. I have included high resolution pictures with the information and asked for assistance from those who may be able to help me establish the carbines identity. The fact the carbine is in 46 Long Rimfire make this very unusual, and the very distinctive full crescent buttstock and correct buttplate should also be significant. The same exact picture is in Roy Marcot's book, which I have referenced. So Please give me some help with this and share some of the knowledge with another old fart really trying to establish what this is.
Yellowhouse

Re: This is a frustrating Board

Post by Yellowhouse »

Wish I could help. Could be nobody knows which means you are the expert until someone can prove otherwise! :wink:
ehull

Post by ehull »

I echo that comment. The sporting style buttstock just doesn't go with the presence of a saddle bar. The tang markings and caliber point to an early 1870s gun. Without any Remington production records, these guns made in small quantities may never be "identified."
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I can sympathize with you somewhat, as my own connection to the board is peripheral at best, based on an overlap in interest. I am a nearly 50-year collector of Springfields 1865-1915. During that period, SA made several military versions of the rolling block under license - for want of a better term - from Remington. Those are of great interest to me, while the commercial models really are not. Response to my questions over time has been spotty (but very courteous) and I understand why.

I sense your disappointment in not receiving "instant gratification", but would counsel you to have patience. You are not being deliberately ignored out of meanness. It is the vacation season, we are all volunteers, and you apparently have an oddball. Yellowhouse may have said it best.

Hang in there!
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

I guess I am trying too hard to ID this. I have several other Rolling blocks that are also nearly unidentifiable as the parts are so interchangeable. I have one that stumped me for awhile as it had the 1867 Navy barrel. I do have a problem that someone could help me with though. The breech-block on this is a rimfire but the striker is completely rusted in place and the retaining screw is also frozen. I have done all to remove by soaking in ATF and acetone and even attempting to drilling it out, with only to break off 2 easy-outs and several bits. I will just keep the rimfire breechblock for originality as is. If possible I will replace with a CF one. The chamber also seems to take a 303 Rimmed Brit CF which when trimmed to chamber length also fits perfectly. I will have to do some serious trim and bullet measurements. I will give more info as I figure out what it is, what it was supposed to be and if it is an original or put together.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I see that you are still waiting for an answer. You must have something REALLY off-beat, or else a mess of parts so bad that no one wants to be the person to burst your bubble. But, at this point, I'd be frustrasted too.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

The frustrating thing about this forum is that you don't always get an answer to your questions.

The good thing is that when you do they are informed answers unlike many forums that I subscribe to.
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

If I knew anything about your carbine I would post a reply. I generally try not to post unless I have the goods to deliver. Good luck with your search.

jn
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Consider that not all Remington collectors are rifle collectors. Then not all that collect rifles are Rolling Block collectors. Then many are not military Rolling Block collectors.
What might seem to be a large area of interest, is not as large as you'd think. I strictly collect Rolling Block Sporting rifles, so couldn't answer even the most basic of questions on a military RB.