Photos of NYS Rolling block after cleaning.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

This is the after of the RB Pics from a recent Post. I did not use buffing wheels just complete disassembly and soaking in long trough with rags soaked in a mix of Ballistol and water. After the several days soak, then lots of elbow grease and rubbing compound on BRONZE wool. Last is a rub down with an oil and greasy rag prior to and after reassembly. The original in the white finish comes up beautifully with still showing to old darkening from age. Bore is like a mirror with sharp rifling. I know some won't accept the clean up and removal of the brown rust but, I'm and old retired sergeant and can't stand rust on my firearms, if it can come off without damaging the original finish.
attachment=2]DSC_0018.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG (188.5 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG (170.69 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG (231.02 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Scorpion8

Re: Photos of NYS Rolling block after cleaning.

Post by Scorpion8 »

I think it looks great, since it just seems "clean" and not refinished. Good job.
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, I don't know - I hate to be a wet blanket, and yes, I also try to remove any loose red stuff, but I think that turned out to be a "rub too far". I truly hate to say that because great care was obviously taken in the planning and the process, but I'd have skipped the Simichrome for sure. Personal tastes differ, but in my opinion that rifle was worn, or previously buffed, beyond the point of bringing it back to mirror-bright. The good news is that in a few years it will flatten down a bit. Surface finish needs to be commensurate with the underlying wear. Just my thoughts - sorry.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Well, I don't know - I hate to be a wet blanket, and yes, I also try to remove any loose red stuff, but I think that turned out to be a "rub too far". I truly hate to say that because great care was obviously taken in the planning and the process, but I'd have skipped the Simichrome for sure. Personal tastes differ, but in my opinion that rifle was worn, or previously buffed, beyond the point of bringing it back to mirror-bright. The good news is that in a few years it will flatten down a bit. Surface finish needs to be commensurate with the underlying wear. Just my thoughts - sorry.
I agree but you could speed up the 'flatten down' process with a light coat of Birchwood Caset 'Plum Brown'. :roll:
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Dick: No problem, I accepted the difficult task of removing the rust with as little abrasion to the original in the white as possible. Stanforth: I think that you might be right. I just happen to have a bottle of Plum Brown on the shelf. I might try a little on the barrel under the wood just to see if I can get that"time worn finish". Actually, the "In Person" look of the metal finish is a very near match to the original under the bands and rear sight base. This is hard to show with the camera. Most important, I work on many old /C&Rs and older and don't want to RESTORE them to as new in the box. They are all over 100 years old and most have had some hard use and dirty, sweaty, greasy hands carrying them around. Mostly just a good cleaning and oil wipe down to the metal and a scrub with some Murphy's Oil Soap of the wood.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

wsmrto wrote:Dick: No problem, I accepted the difficult task of removing the rust with as little abrasion to the original in the white as possible. Stanforth: I think that you might be right. I just happen to have a bottle of Plum Brown on the shelf. I might try a little on the barrel under the wood just to see if I can get that"time worn finish". Actually, the "In Person" look of the metal finish is a very near match to the original under the bands and rear sight base. This is hard to show with the camera. Most important, I work on many old /C&Rs and older and don't want to RESTORE them to as new in the box. They are all over 100 years old and most have had some hard use and dirty, sweaty, greasy hands carrying them around. Mostly just a good cleaning and oil wipe down to the metal and a scrub with some Murphy's Oil Soap of the wood.

That is what we call (in the UK) 'Conservation'.