Anyone know anything about Remington Rand slides?

RemRandNoob

Anyone know anything about Remington Rand slides?

Post by RemRandNoob »

I know it was a typewriter company that was bought out by Sperry quite some time ago...

A Gentleman named Jeff, out the Remington Corporate office, recommended your forum for my query.

Recently I inherited a couple of boxes of stuff from my late BIL, and one of the things in the bottom of one of the boxes was a Remington Rand slide, 1911, "in the white".

It has a 1/8" rib running the full length of the slide. Forward of the Ejection Port the top of the rib has about a 30 lpi checkering. There is an adjustable rear site installed, but no front sight; not even a cut for a front sight to be installed into.

It appears to, prior to my doing do so confirm the size of the company stamp (found it's a Type 3), never have been attached to a frame, nor does it appear to have ever had an extractor or firing pin installed.

There are no roll marks on the slide other than the Rem Rand markings, and the only other stamp is the letter "G", just below the firing pin hole.

Inside the Barrel Lug recesses it appears that someone at some point used a marker, presumably to alter the recesses for a match barrel.

I will admit that I've asked on a couple of other forums that I am active on, and the consensus that it's most likely a "Lunchbox Special", and that it was probably in process for being made into a Bullseye gun.

The intriguing portion of this, to me, is the rib, and the lack of roll marks.

I guess what I'm looking for here is the following:
1) Is this any kind of rare example?
2) Is it worth beyond what I've seen for other RR examples on the various auction sites (run of the mill slides, basically)?

I have no intent of using this if the answers to either of the above are "Yes".

I'd just like to settle the question once and for all on rarity and value, if any.

Thanks for your time and attention to this, and if you have questions beyond what I've provided, hopefully I'll be able to help.

Bill

OH yes, pics would indeed help. Here they are: