Remington UMC building on Boston Ave Bridgeport

sgtsemo

Remington UMC building on Boston Ave Bridgeport

Post by sgtsemo »

Being a Remington collector from southern Connecticut I have always wondered about the Building on the south side of US1 Boston Ave at Seaview Ave across from the sight of the Huge old Bridgeport Remington firearms works which was sold off to GE soon after WWI. This building was part of the Massive Bridgeport complex which stretched from the Barnum Ave ammunition works north beyond Boston Ave into the Remington woods where the old corporate headquarters was located. Being 50 years old and from the Bridgeport /Stratford area of Connecticut I had always been curious of the many buildings to the north of the Barnum Ave plant which I remember still operating back in the 1980s. The Firearms works to my generation was always known as the GE plant.
But the building in question across Boston Ave which was sold off and refurbished into apartments 20 years ago or so was referred to me as the "Russian Barracks" by a few older natives of the eastside of Bridgeport I can remember driving by the building and seeing that beneath the removed round GE logo was the same round Rem-UMC
sign seen on the other Remington buildings in Ilion and Bridgeport.
I believe it might still be there just covered over. I am assuming this may have been the quarters of the few hundred Russian inspectors during the Mosin Nagant production during WWI.
Does anyone have any information regarding this? As a side note there must have been another Russian Barracks a short distance away in New Haven for the Winchester Russian inspectors.
The Firearms history of Connecticut is amazing. Unfortunately its almost all history now.
If you search Bing Maps Boston ave and Seaview ave Bridgeport and Click on the Birds eye button you can sea the Building in question with a Green roof. The Firearms complex all .5 mile of it Power plant and all is still standing in the photos. It's a vacant lot now in 2015. The shot tower still stands to the south!
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... ORM=HDRSC4
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Remington UMC building on Boston Ave Bridgeport

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJt_WO1DUw

I put together a video of the map and area you are writing about. Click on the URL and it will load the video. Hope it helps.

This cartography is very rare and from 1917 G.M. Hopkins Atlas of Bridgeport Connecticut. Not a reproduction or copy. Fascinating areas overall, many historical sites but my focus was the Remington Arms/ Union Metalic Cartridge Co.'s land and factory buildings. The colors and details of this map are amazing to view.

The knives helping to hold the map are a couple of my original Remington Bullet Knives.
Hope you enjoy! :wink:
sgtsemo

Re: Remington UMC building on Boston Ave Bridgeport

Post by sgtsemo »

Thank you ,Try this site too to see how things use to look around the country and in Bridgeport http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home