Remington RB Carbine need help bore .514

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
ehull

Re: Remington RB Carbine need help

Post by ehull »

Jim, What is the caliber? There was a period 1869-70 when Remington made some of these in a .50RF that is bigger than a .50 Spencer.
What are the tang markings? To match the breech block type it should be two lines ending in 1866.
Also, is the buttplate interchangeable with a US rifle musket or is it the narrower Remington type.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

ehull wrote:Jim, What is the caliber? There was a period 1869-70 when Remington made some of these in a .50RF that is bigger than a .50 Spencer.
What are the tang markings? To match the breech block type it should be two lines ending in 1866.
Also, is the buttplate interchangeable with a US rifle musket or is it the narrower Remington type.
The butt plate is 1 3/8 at top and 1 1/2 at bottom. I don't have the right tool to measure but end of barrel opening is right at a .514 the chamber measures a little over 1 1/2 inch long before riflings began it is longer than a 56-50 spencer which I have one. I have included a photo of patent dates on tang
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (142.62 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
Last edited by Jim C on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Searched Hoyem Vol. 1 (usually most helpful) with no definitive results, other than to assume the intended round is something from the post-war developmental/experimental morass. Chamber length would appear to point to a RF version of what would ultimately become the .50-45 Navy round. I'm thinking the arm, which looks to my untutored eye (don't own such a carbine) very much like a regular 1867 Navy, might even be unique in that chambering. That's about the extent of my thoughts - I yield to my friend Ed Hull as the early Remington authority!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Maybe someone can guess the caliber from this photo I am looking for someone local to case chamber thanks for all the help
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Jim C

Re: Remington RB Carbine need help bore .514

Post by Jim C »

There was a guy at local gun shop mic. The end of barrel .514 also he looked at chamber the outer measurement of rim would be .679
JReed

Post by JReed »

My recomendation would be to pick up some Cerosafe do a chamber cast get a dial caliper and share the dimensions. It will be the only sure fire way of figuring out what you have.
Semper Fidelis
JWLASER

Post by JWLASER »

I am the current owner of this rifle, any suggestion on what it might be?
ehull

Post by ehull »

Please read all the discussion on this thread. It is a standard remington made carbine, circa 1870. The only open question is the cartridge it uses.