1889 Extractor/Joint Check Issue

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
IAhunter

1889 Extractor/Joint Check Issue

Post by IAhunter »

I've got a 1889 Grade 2. I really enjoy it, I shoot appropriate low-pressure loads with it. It has one issue, similar to a thread posted here in 2005. The extractor only raises when one of the hammers is cocked. Is this due to a worn joint check? Anyone have any insights? The similar question posted in 2005 was never responded to.
Thanks
Ken
paul harm

Re: 1889 Extractor/Joint Check Issue

Post by paul harm »

The hammers have nothing to do with it. Take the barrels off and you'll notice a piece between the barrel lugs that rotates [when the barrels are opened] and pushes against the extractor rod. Maybe you could take the screw out that holds the rotating lever in between the lugs and remove the lever. I would think something broke off and is missing. With the barrels out you should be able to push the lever up towards the barrels and the extractor will move backwards. Push the extractor back in and the lever will go back down [ where it has to be to install the barrels back on the gun]. My extractors start moving as soon as the gun starts opening [ with or without any hammer cocked]. Good luck finding the problem.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Tried to post yesterday but appears to have not worked.

Anyway, after reading this post I pulled out a '89 and found something interesting. When I moved the top lever hard to the right (almost touching the right hammer) the extractor did not lift when the gun was opened. However when I moved the top lever so that the gun would just open, the extractor worked just fine. Over the next few tries, I gradually moved the lever more and more to the right at each attempt and the extractor worked until I was again at the hard right position. Worn parts???
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I believe the lever between the barrel lugs makes contact with the receiver when the barrels are opened and the lever is made to move against the extractor rod. Shouldn't matter how far the opening lever is moved.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Paul, based on your reply, I did the following:

1. moved the top lever to the right so that the gun would just open and the extractor operated just fine

2. applied pressure to the extractor while continuing to move the top lever slowly to the right

3. when the top lever was nearly at the extreme right position the extractor gave way and went back into it's recessed position.