1984 s x s Barrel replacement

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
timcampbel

Post by timcampbel »

I have recently acquired this piece. Serial number says it was mfg in 1905. Unfortunately the barrel is damaged and I would like to replace it. Does anyone know where a proper replacement can be purchased? What do I look for to make sure I get the correct part. This gun is marked B E W on the underside of the barrel. I understand what the B and E mean, but not the W. Anybody have an idea?

Any help would be appreciated.
dieNusse1

Re: 1984 s x s Barrel replacement

Post by dieNusse1 »

First, I assume you mean 1894 SxS.

From what information you supplied it appears that you have a grade B with ejectors. You can confirm that by looking at the water table -- the grade is stamped across from the S/N. Yours should be stamped B. Many (most) of the barrel stamping characters on the the 1894's and 1900's are a mystery and may never be known. The W is in that class.

As to barrel replacement -- I would first try to have it fixed -- there are some good people out there that can work wonders. The major problem with a "new" barrel is fitting it to your action body.

Barrels may be available from forum members. I've seen barrels offered on eBay.

In any event -- good luck.
timcampbel

Post by timcampbel »

dieNusse1, thank you for your comments, unfortunately the barrel is not fixable. I will be looking for a replacement.

I would be willing to talk to people who may have what I need, and would also be willing to discuss the condition of the barrel that I have with the appropriate gunsmith.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Finding a replacement set of barrels for a gun that is over 100 years out of production is worse than finding a needle in a haystack. There were different frame sizes and Remington Arms Co. rather indiscriminately used three different styles of barrel lugs --

and different forearm loops --

Don Doubles

Post by Don Doubles »

Did you ever find a new set of barrel for your 1894
timcampbel

Post by timcampbel »

Wow, thank you Researcher for the pictures. I have not found a replacement as yet. I was not aware of the issues that I might have. It makes sense what you show because of the type of manufacturing that was done in those days. I will probably need to find other types of solution because of the uniqueness of this shotgun.

I inherited this gun from a retired police officer after he died. It was the under seat enforcer that he carried at the time he was on patrol. I will be talking to my local gun store to see what I can do to make it usable.

I appreciate everybody's input and comments.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Did you find set of barrels I might have a set. What is the serial number?
timcampbel

Post by timcampbel »

No I have not found a replacement barrel yet. The serial number of the gun, and they all match, is P132643.

Thanks people.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Do you know is it a small or large frame? Is there a P in front of serial number?
alexandMer

Post by alexandMer »

Just purchased metal barrel replacement for my 1911 PTP Mark I. Having some difficulty removing old plastic barrel. Anyone have any tips/tricks they can share to help make this easier ??
Thanks,
R

http://info.wreckbox.com
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Welcome --

First of all, you posted on the shotgun site rather than handguns. Second, I don't know if there is any info on the forum concerning air guns but you never know.

Good luck!
Don Doubles

Post by Don Doubles »

Tim did you ever fine a set of B grade barrels for you 1894. If not I'm working with a gun smith
to buy all his Remington 1894 shotgun parts, which has a set of B grade barrel. If you are still
wanting a set email your contact information. My email address in sxs@charter.net

Don
timcampbel

Post by timcampbel »

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this. I don't get on this forum very often and was happy to see that you responded. Email sent. :D