Short Springfield transformed

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
defnat

Short Springfield transformed

Post by defnat »

Hello,
A survivor of the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71)

550 supplied by Remington to the French Government (contract n°3 of September 20th, 1870)

ImageImage

Caliber .58 Rem y think

Philippe
ehull

Re: Short Springfield transformed

Post by ehull »

Hi Philippe,
Some additional information: a total of 2,100 "short transformation" Springfield .58 caliber rifles were shipped to France in Oct.,1870 by Remington and their New York agent, Schuyler, Hartley and Graham. Most of these were for commercial sale, not on military contract, so they do not show up in French ordnance import records. If you have access to Man-At-Arms magazine (U.S. publication) you can read my story in the Oct. 2007 issue.
The caliber of the rifles for France is .58 Berdan Musket, a rather large cartridge.
It is difficult to find a "short transformation" rifle here, because all were sold overseas (including 6,541 to Central/South American countries). My rifle has a 32.25 inch long barrel, as have the very few others I have seen. The 2 barrel bands are widely spaced. Contemporary Remington catalogs say the barrel for this type is 36 inches--but I have never seen one like this. Ed
defnat

Post by defnat »

Thank you for your information Ed, the barrel also makes 32 inches long on mine.
Philippe
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Does the rifle pictured in this thread have its' bands correctly located? I'd thought when the barrels were shortened the bands were re-spaced? Thanks.
defnat

Post by defnat »

hello Dick,
No, bands seem to me in their place, I have the same thing on a shortened Greek model

Philippe
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Hello, Phillipe.

I am really a Springfield collector, and only touch on Remingtons where they "overlap", by way of those RB models produced at SA, 1867-1872.

Normally, when Springfield shortened a 3-band gun, they relocated the upper band to the "normal" location relative to the muzzle. It was the likes of Bannerman, etc, who would cut down a rifle and leave the middle band in place, resulting in the great expanse of unsupported wood visible in both of your pictures. That is why I asked.

I have all of the SA-Rems EXCEPT a "transformed" (of either length) and the 1870 trials carbine.

Ed Hull is THE man to go to for info on these guns!