Model 4 Rolling Block 32 rimfire Manufacture date

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
KansasDwight

Model 4 Rolling Block 32 rimfire Manufacture date

Post by KansasDwight »

I inherited a Remington 32 rimfire rolling block from my grandfather who had received it from an older relative. The top of barrel says "Remington Arms Co. Ilion NY". The bottom of barrel says "32" and has a serial number 54938. The barrel is octagonal and about 23 1/2" long. The receiver is solid with no lever or screws to break it down. I remember seeing black powder cartridges for it when I was a kid in the 1960's. I think they were 32 shorts, but my memory could be wrong after so many years. Can someone tell me when this rifle was manufactured?
tanpatsu

Re: Model 4 Rolling Block 32 rimfire Manufacture date

Post by tanpatsu »

Hello,
Even though I primarily specialize in military rolling block rifles I may be able to give you hand in what your trying to find out. The No.4 New Model Remington rolling block was produced from around 1890, through 1933, and was available in .22 short, long and long rifle calibers as well as in .25 and .32 caliber rim fire. After 1903, they were manufactured in a take down version as well. It was actually the last of the rolling block rifles Remington offered. Early variants had octagon barrels with round barrels also available later in production years, probably around World war One. On the average, those in excellent condition can reap up to $500 to $600 dollars, with other grades of condition bringing less. They were likely discontinued as sales of early Remington single-shots must have dropped considerably by the early 1930s. It seems they have become popular among collectors in the last 15 to 20 years. Hope this gives you a boost, as I never delved into them. Anyhow, take care .

Best Regards,
George Layman
tanpatsu

Re: Model 4 Rolling Block 32 rimfire Manufacture date

Post by tanpatsu »

Hello,
Even though I primarily specialize in military rolling block rifles I may be able to give you hand in what your trying to find out. The No.4 New Model Remington rolling block was produced from around 1890, through 1933, and was available in .22 short, long and long rifle calibers as well as in .25 and .32 caliber rim fire. After 1903, they were manufactured in a take down version as well. It was actually the last of the rolling block rifles Remington offered. Early variants had octagon barrels with round barrels also available later in production years, probably around World war One. On the average, those in excellent condition can reap up to $500 to $600 dollars, with other grades of condition bringing less. They were likely discontinued as sales of early Remington single-shots must have dropped considerably by the early 1930s. It seems they have become popular among collectors in the last 15 to 20 years. Hope this gives you a boost, as I never delved into them. Anyhow, take care .

Best Regards,
George Layman