Reinforcing pin in stock cheeks - Models 1894 and 1900

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Canvasback

Reinforcing pin in stock cheeks - Models 1894 and 1900

Post by Canvasback »

Compared to other guns from the same era that I see, there seems to be an incredibly high percentage of Remington 1894's and 1900's that have had a reinforcing pin set in the stock cheeks. Can anyone speak to this?
dieNusse1

Re: Reinforcing pin in stock cheeks - Models 1894 and 1900

Post by dieNusse1 »

It seems that this is a weak spot for most SxS's of this era whether LC's, Parkers, LeFevers etc etc. This was also true of the percussion SxS's. Seems that these were perfect designs to insure weakness. Of course this is how these weapons evolved and it wasn't until the box lock came on the scene that this problem was fixed. The introduction of the box lock using a through bolt to attach the stock means there is a lot more wood in the wrist area meaning less breakage.
Canvasback

Re: Reinforcing pin in stock cheeks - Models 1894 and 1900

Post by Canvasback »

Thanks dieNusse1. I know my question was kinda both vague and in some way completely obvious. Of course they get pinned because they are weak. My bad!

But when I look at the other well known American brands from that era (hammerless, roughly 1895 to 1925), Parker, Fox, Ithaca etc (leaving out the sidelock designs) there seems to be so many more Remingtons, as a percentage, that have been pinned. In Canada where I live, I'd say its better than 1 out of 2, that come up for sale. Nothing like that ratio for other makes. I have three, two have been pinned. A friend has bought two, both pinned. We typically see 1900's, and 1894 A, B & F. No higher grades.

Now I am not looking for pristine collectors. I am looking for guns that can be refurbished into good shooters for my own enjoyment (not resale), so pinned or not is in no way a deal breaker. I'm just curious.

BTW, received Semmer's book yesterday, direct from Mr. Semmer. A very nice inscription from him and a wonderful book. Researcher's encouragement to buy it is well founded. I heartily endorse his recommendation.