Help dating some hammerless

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Canvasback

Help dating some hammerless

Post by Canvasback »

I have three Remington hammerless I would like to determine date of production. I have Semmer's book on order but have not yet received it. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I have two Model 1894 BE 12 gauge Damascus barreled. First is serial number 106202 and the second is 136009. I also have a Model 1900 with fluid steel barrels, serial number 335688.

Thanks
dieNusse1

Re: Help dating some hammerless

Post by dieNusse1 »

106202 -- 1897

136009 -- 1907

335668 -- 1902

Enjoy the book -- makes for good reading.
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Thanks very much dieNusse1.

While there may be ten years separating the two 1894's, in weight it is less than an ounce, with the later gun having ever so slightly heavier barrels/forend and a lighter receiver/stock.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The early gun will have the firing pins integral with the hammers and there will be a longer distance between the sear axle pin and hammer axle pin --

The later gun will have seperate firing pins and the sear axle pin will be a bit farther foreward from the back edge of the receiver --

Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Researcher, thank you. Practically the first thing I did was compare positions of the sear axle pin with my 1900. The separate firing pins had slipped my mind.

My first 1894 is off getting a bit of well needed TLC. CJO has been at work on the barrels, bringing the Damascus back to life and it needed a few other small mechanical fixes. Looking forward to it's imminent return.

I have been having a bit of a time figuring out proper placement of the safety plunger spring (I believe part #59 on your lower parts list) in my 1900. I found it loose, inside the action. Had decided I need to open up one of my 1894's to get an exact location for it, but as I checked this 1894 BE over after receipt of it yesterday, I get the feeling the spring may have come loose in this one as well. Safety works but the mechanism just doesn't feel right. We'll see when I take the stock off.
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Okay, I have the stock off of the 1907 M1894 BE. The problem with the safety is the safety spring, part #36, has kinda given up the ghost. It's there but doesn't have much spring left in it. I'm guessing there are no replacement parts available and either this spring might be able to be repaired or I need a new one made up.

Any thoughts about best course of action anyone?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I don't think you need much spring action. Just enough to keep the safety slide in place. Try bending it a bit. Much of the work is done by gravity.

There should be parts out there but a spring to do the job should be easy to fabricate. Might not look like the original but it will get the job done. Contact Garland Jackson if you really want a replacement spring. If he doesn't have one I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Part No. 37 is called the "Safety Plunger Spring"

Part No. 35 is the "Sear Spring" specify right or left
Canvasback

Post by Canvasback »

Researcher, I made an error in my identification of the safety plunger spring, which is the correct name for the part I was originally referring to. Should have said part #37, not #59.

dieNusse1, What I didn't know is how much I can bend it and have it work properly. Sounds like, with gravity helping, a small bend will be sufficient to have it working.

I try to be pretty cautious about what I do, until I know exactly what the parameters I am aiming for are. Sorry if some of my questions seem a bit obvious.