Sticky Recoil pad on Reminton 700

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Roundball6

Sticky Recoil pad on Reminton 700

Post by Roundball6 »

I was able to get a bargain on a stainless Model 700 7mm-08 :?: with synthetic stock and factory recoil pad. The rifle shoots very well. The issue with the rifle is that the recoil pad appears to be breaking down and has become sticky to the point that it becomes glued to the bottom of the gun safe or where ever the rifle butt is resting. Is this a common event with simple solution-currently the pad is covered with masking tape.
700_classic

Re: Sticky Recoil pad on Reminton 700

Post by 700_classic »

Remington had trouble with their early R3 pads as you've discovered. I've called Remington customer service on a number of 700's with the same issue and they have made good on the problem each time. For synthetic stocked guns they've sent me pre-fit replacement pads that no longer break down at no cost. For wood stocked guns, they've sent a complete replacement stock. You can't argue with that! The only thing they will need is the serial number of the gun - they obviously only want to correct the problem once per gun.
Roundball6

Post by Roundball6 »

Thanks for the help. Called Remington providing the number of the rifle and a no cost replacement should be here in seven to ten days. I fully agree on the service. :D
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

In the meantime while you wait for a replacement, try coating the pad with a dusting of corn starch or a baby powder that is pure corn starch. It may help.
Roundball6

Post by Roundball6 »

Thanks for the suggestions. As it happened I was removing a 260 Model Seven from the gun safe and found it stuck to the floor. This one got complicated since the stock was ordered from the Remington Country Store too replace the original stock that had been butchered beyond repair by a former owner. The lady on the phone went an extra mile to make sure the correct pad would be sent as a replacement. While this was going on the replacement pad for the 700 XCR came in the mail-a perfect fit. The folks manning the phones at Remington a pleasant and on task. :D
PNorwood

Post by PNorwood »

I own a 7mm08 . The recoil pad on it is ' for lack of other word ' melting . Everytime I use it I ruin another article of clothes. Can I get help is solving this problem. Love using this gun 'but not the mess it makes .I would like someone to contact me about a solution to this problem
PNorwood

Post by PNorwood »

Can I get a replacement recoil pad for my synthetic stock 7mm 08. The one that came new on this gun is desinograting. Or melting . It get black on everything it touches and sticks to everything. It is horrible.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

PNorwood wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 pm Can I get a replacement recoil pad for my synthetic stock 7mm 08. The one that came new on this gun is desinograting. Or melting . It get black on everything it touches and sticks to everything. It is horrible.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Remington+mod ... fhp&ia=web

Den