Modified 1873 Hammer Lifter

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
catskilljoe

Modified 1873 Hammer Lifter

Post by catskilljoe »

I just got outbid at a country on a beautiful hammer lifter serial in the low 3900's. Barrel was Damascus and very nice, engraving was a 3 or 4 and the checkering was in excellent condition. What I couldn't resolve due to lack of knowledge was the following. The small "wings" were missing on the side of the plate that moves back and cocks the hammers. The shadow of where they once were was faintly visible. There was no half cock setting for the hammers, it was full cock or nothing. Could these modifications have been done at the factory by request? Lastly the butt plate was not steel but a typical hard rubber no name plate which I strongly suspect was a repalcement/modification.

A rare variation or an over modified relic?

Joe
paul harm

Re: Modified 1873 Hammer Lifter

Post by paul harm »

Just a gun someone fooled with. I bought last year a gun listed as a lifter but was a hammer lifter with the wings ground off the hammers. Some screws were missing and the stock was junk. But because it was a 12ga 1873 grade 4 with nice barrels I gave it to Brad Bachelder for a complete restoration. He even knows of a guy who has original stocks the factory made way back in the day. Should be done next month. Can't wait to see and shoot it. Paul
catskilljoe

Re: Modified 1873 Hammer Lifter

Post by catskilljoe »

Thanks for the reply. I did talk to Brad and it is fixable so I am a little remorseful that I didn't go higher. Next time I'll be more knowledgeable.

Joe