Decarbonized Barrells

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
algentry1

Decarbonized Barrells

Post by algentry1 »

Hello folks,

I have an 1889 Remington 12 ga double, serial No.31590 that I was told by the seller does not have Damascus barrels. The action is very well fitted and is neither loose nor tight. I spent the last half hour reading on this forum, and have discovered the term decarbonized. After I cleaned and inspected the bores, there seem to be evenly spaced rings of pitting in each barrel. I have fired it with black powder Goex loads twice, once in each barrel, thinking it was "fluid steel". Can someone please tell what decarbonized barrels are and the approximate age of my shotgun? Thanks for any help you can offer. I hope this is a user, a woods walker.
I'm brand new to this board, and this is my first post. If I have shown bad manners by asking questions immediately upon beginning my membership, I apologize.

Al Gentry
Spencer, Oklahoma
Researcher

Re: Decarbonized Barrells

Post by Researcher »

That may be the question of the century!! What, if anything, is the difference between the Decarbonized Steel barrels found on the lowest grade Remington hammer guns, and the Remington Steel barrels found on the lowest grade Remington hammerless guns? And a follow on, is there a difference in the Decarbonized Steel on a Model 1889 from the first year, and those made in 1908?
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

First off, your 1889 Remington, left the factory in 1889. As reseacher says, we don't know if the decarbonized steel used on the early guns is the same or similar to the later guns. However, decarbonized steel is considered as being strong but not like today's steel. I have heard reference to it as being like the steel used in nails. A positive way of knowing what the barrels are. After removing the barrels, look at the serial number on the frame, we call it the "water table", you'll see a lone number stamped to the left of the serial. If #1 it is decarbonized steel, if #2 it is twist steel, if #3 than it is Damascus. I hate the phase "fluid steel" because what really does that mean? Shooting your Remington with black powderr loads should not be any problem, except cleaning.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

My 1873 has decarbonized barrels and I've shot low pressure nitro loads in it for years. I've always felt the barrels don't know what's being shot in them, just how much pressure. Black power loads were in the 7 to 8000psi range, so nitro loads in the 5 to 6000psi range would be safe. Same for all my damascus guns which are shot [ one or the other ] three times a week. My 1873 grade 4 is being completely restored and should be ready in a month. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the info on numbers on the water table - never knew that. Paul
algentry1

Post by algentry1 »

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I feel much better. I took an instant deep liking to this old gun the minute I laid eyes and hand on it, and will spend time with it in the hills. In the last few years, I've just begun to realize what great guns Remingtons actually are.
The number on the water table is 1. I really appreciate the help.

Al Gentry
Spencer, Oklahoma
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Al, welcome to the world of Remington SxS's. They are still a bit underrated, so still a bit cheaper than Parkers and L.C. Smiths. But if you have to work on them you'll find the Remingtons easier because of less parts. Semmers book on Remington doubles is a great read at a good price - you'll never regret buying it. Mine is kept next to the bed and I've reread it many, many times. Good luck with your hunting. Paul
algentry1

Post by algentry1 »

paul harm wrote:Al, welcome to the world of Remington SxS's. They are still a bit underrated, so still a bit cheaper than Parkers and L.C. Smiths. But if you have to work on them you'll find the Remingtons easier because of less parts. Semmers book on Remington doubles is a great read at a good price - you'll never regret buying it. Mine is kept next to the bed and I've reread it many, many times. Good luck with your hunting. Paul

Paul,

Thank you for the information on the book, I'll surely buy one. My woods walking is more of an excuse to be out with my thoughts and enjoying myself with an old gun and maybe an old dog. The rear of the standing breach on this 1889 is a beautiful design. It will be nice to study it sitting under a tree.
When they enhanced our tools with art for art's sake, we were enriched. I really look forward to learning more, and appreciate your comments.

Thanks again
Al Gentry
Oklahoma