Model 24 problem(s) - missing parts?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
thetimmeister

Model 24 problem(s) - missing parts?

Post by thetimmeister »

I inherited a Model 24 LR from my father that has some problems.
I was able to find a replacement extractor - that solved the problem of empty shells not ejecting, but i still have a couple of other problems.
First off, when I cycle the breech bolt to load a round, it fires - not every time, but I would say at least half the time. The second problem is that about half of the time the gun "double fires" - in other words, a second round goes off automatically. After this second round fires, I have to cycle the breech bolt again to load the next round.
I inspected the spent shells and found that some of them had not even been hit by the firing pin. Some of them had two marks: one from the cartridge carrier, and the other from the firing pin. But, on some rounds, there was only a mark from the cartridge carrier.
Is the cartridge carrier supposed to stick out past the breech block?
Recently, I completely disassembled the gun and matched every part to a parts schematic. I realized that there are some parts missing: the breech block stop pin & the cartridge guide stop spring (these are parts #11 & #21 on the schematic).
I was able to find a replacement for the breech block stop pin - I received it yesterday, but I can't figure out where it is assembled in the gun. Just by the name, this stop pin sounds like it might fix the problem - I am thinking that the breech block (and cartridge carrier) is hitting the round hard enough to fire it when it loads - Instead of hitting the stop pin.
Does it sound like these missing parts are causing the problem(s)?
Can someone explain or show pictures of where the breech block stop pin & cartridge guide stop spring are supposted to be?
Last, does anyone know where I can get a replacement cartridge guide stop spring? (Numrich is out of stock).

Sorry for the long post!!
Tim