new model conversion info

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
rwg

new model conversion info

Post by rwg »

I have a New Model as stamped on barrel, under remington address. Serial #89783- frame and barrel. #727 under barrel in front of catch of loading lever. Letter P on left side of barrel and letter J on right side of barrel where joins the frame. 5 shot cylinder, thin conversion plate screwed into the frame. I think this is a .44 RF. And the KICKER to me is that the cylinder has stamped on the length wise PATENTED APRIL 3d, 1855. ANY help would be appreciated.
RWG
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

You have a Remington New Model Converted to cartridge by Remington for S&W who in turn sold them to Kittridge, a gun dealer in Ohio who originally supplied the percussion guns from his inventory. Remington was licenced to convert the guns by S&W who held the White patent for a drilled thru cylinder. That is the patent date stamped on the cylinder. Over 5000 guns were converted to 46 Rim Fire, Jay Huber RSA
rwg

Post by rwg »

Thanks Jay, I found some info on my own, after I made the post, about the Rollin White patent. It didn't give the info about the remingtons Tried a .45lc in cylinder, too large. Tried a .451 round ball rolled right through. .46 rimfire, now I guess I'm on the hunt for a few .46 rimfire rounds any help on guiding me in right direction.
Thanks again, RWG
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

A gun show is about the best place to find cartridges. Boxes of ammo are near impossible. Jay RSA