LOADING & FEEDING OF THE MODEL 14/141

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

LOADING & FEEDING OF THE MODEL 14/141

Post by nambujim »

In the last few days I have received four (4) emails/phone calls relating to this subject, all of which are ammunition related, and almost all of those pertained to ammunition acquired from a reputable firm. The "custom" loaded rounds of .30, .32, & 35 Remington had one thing in common, they used something other than ROUND NOSE bullets.

I am NOT the world authority on the Model 14 but I have been repairing them for thirty-five (35) years with a high degree of success! I will try to make this short in that you should NEVER use anything but round nose ammunition with these cartridges (all calibers), OACL is critical, and don't think for a minute you can get by with just "neck sizing" the case.

These rifles were made at a time when reloading was in its infancy, they were made to use new/pristene ammunition, the early rifles are the most critical, and after you fire a round the brass will be nicked up because of the feed, load, & ejection process. Remington didn't think that back in 1912 you would be reloading so that somewhat beat up brass didn't matter much but move ahead 100 years and everyone seems to think they have a better idea. You need to think about how things were done in 1920 and not today by using the brass no more that 2-3 times at most while utilizing a powder like the old IMR's and not the trendy new ones.

For years I told the board of the local gun club that out of every 100 members we had 40 that won't read, 40 that can't read, and 6 idiots. I hate to use that same theory here but we have so many that will read the forum but simply don't listen or understand what is being passed on to them.

Using ROUND NOSE bullets & pristene brass is not my opinion, it is fact.

Here is the exact wording on the back of the "hang tags" that were attached to every one of the Model 14's:

IMPORTANT
Ammunition with pointed bullets
should not be used in this rifle,
except when loaded by hand into
the chamber.

I hope some will find this helpful!

Jim
Jim Peterson
John Gyde

Re: LOADING & FEEDING OF THE MODEL 14/141

Post by John Gyde »

Good info!!! This comes up quite often and you offer the solution to the feeding problem.

Let's hope some of the fourteen read this. Maybe even some of the forty...
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

This is not actually a reply, but I have a problem of my own and cannot figure out how to create a new post. Just joined the society hoping I could find some help. Last hunting season I stopped into an upstate gunstore and found an old model 14 for sale. It was just like my Dad's old rifle that I learned to hunt with almost 50 years ago, and I just had to have it. I managed to aquire brass from Reeds in Oklahoma and learned how to reload for it. From the biginning I have experienced an intermittent failure to fire, actually failure to lock in battery. After dissasembleing and thouroughly cleaning it has gotten much worse, and now just never locks in battery and is unusable. I've had 2 different local gunsmiths look at it and advise me to retire the rifle, but I firmly believe that its just a matter of finding a competent gunsmith who is familiar with these rifles. I am hoping that this might be the place. I read a few posts and understand that there are people around here who work on these rifles, but I cannot as yet figure out how to contact them. I guess I'm a bit computer illiterate as well as gun repair illiterate. If any one can help, please let me know. (I'll keep checking back here for a response.) :mrgreen: You mention that you have been repairing them for 35 years, and I suspect that you may be the guy that can help me. I am assuming that you do this for a living and I could bring the rifle to your shop. If that is correct, please let me know. I live in NY, but just bought a condo in Fl and will be driving back and forth from time to time, so I don't think
your location will be a problem, and up till now, I havn't found anyone else who will work on my rifle.
thank you in advance
hope to hear from you soon
Dan
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Dan!

Email me at nambujim@carolina.rr.com and we can discuss the problems with your rifle but there is no doubt in my mind it is readily fixable. I don't do this as a living but rather a hobby since their are not enough Model 14/141's to keep me in business full time, they are the ONLY model I work on and have a substantial parts inventory.

You must keep in mind that these guns are very "quirky" and I have a feeling that a lot of hands have been inside your rifle, easy way to judge is to look at the screws on the magazine plug and action bar cover. If the screws are buggered up badly that pretty much tells the story.

Let me hear from you directly and we'll go from there.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

Package shipped
thank you
Dan :mrgreen:
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

This is a first, a right side mounted "left handed" take down screw.

Thought I would pass on the pics for entertainment purposes, hope the show up since I have little experience in adding them to forum postings.
Attachments
jun07_04.jpg
jun07_04.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
jun07_05.jpg
jun07_05.jpg (76.27 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
Jim Peterson
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

Nice lookin gun :mrgreen:
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Trust me, it looks a lot better now!

Hope you didn't mind my putting that up there, it continues to amaze me as to the modifications folks made to keep these old guns working. This one has a lot of character and should be good for years to come.

Regards!
Jim Peterson
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

Don't mind a bit. I couldn't be more pleased to have my model 14 functional once more, and with the proper take down screw. I just may have to refinish the gun when I have some time. But for now I know it will make it to hunting season. :mrgreen:
Killick

Post by Killick »

Well the title is loading & feeding so I'll ask here! I was at the range with my newly refurbished 14 that Jim gave some TLC to and I had trouble loading the tube. I was only able to get 4 rounds loaded once easily. I literally couldn't load 4 any other time. Is there a secret to loading? She cycles great with no miss fires. But I must be doing something wrong loading the tube.
I was using 170 grain soft points from Old Western Scroungers.
Thanks in advance!
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Re-read the first post in this thread....
Especiallythe part about which bullet to use. This sentence in particular: "I will try to make this short in that you should NEVER use anything but round nose ammunition with these cartridges (all calibers), OACL is critical, and don't think for a minute you can get by with just "neck sizing" the case."
Good advise. Good luck.
Killick

Post by Killick »

Thanks Dudley for the reply. I did make sure they were round nose before purchase, which the are. Actually pointed bullets would load better I'd think!
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

I find it easier to load 4 cartridges into the magazine if I use the next cartridge to insert the first 3. In other words after loading the chamber, put 1 cartridge into the magazine 1/2 way, then push it in with the next cartridge leaving that one out 1/2 way etc. etc. When the 4th cartridge is pushed all the way into the magazine it will spring back into place ready for cycling to the chamber.