MODEL 14 HELP NEEDED

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
30REM14

MODEL 14 HELP NEEDED

Post by 30REM14 »

Hello all, I'm new here and just beginning to find my way around. I actually posted a couple times in the wrong places, (sorry) but I think I found my way now. I'm looking for a gunsmith to fix my model 14 in .30 rem, and I believe this may be the place to find him (hope so). Anyway problem is the gun will not lock in battery and therefore won't fire. I compared my bolt to my dads and I believe the problem has to do with a spring since there is no tension on the release button (probably not the right name, I'm not a smith). Any way the button you push to open the action has no tension like on my fathers gun. I've had the rifle since November and it has gotten worse since cleaning it, I think the grease was holding things together. I can't find a smith that will take the bolt apart in my area but I will be traveling NY to Fl several times in the near future and would be happy to drop it off along the way if somebody is able to fix this. I've been told its an old gun and not worth fixing, but its similar to Dad's, which is the gun I started hunting with, and kinda unique (never seen another one) so I really would like to have it fixed. If anyone can help, please let me know.
thanks in advance
Dan :mrgreen:
nambujim

Re: MODEL 14 HELP NEEDED

Post by nambujim »

Since there have been a lot of hits on this posting I thought it best to tell all what was wrong with this somewhat abused piece. Nothing that couldn't readily be put right but the action bar lock plunger had been replaced with a nail along with an inadequate spring. The trigger and its related parts were badly gunked up, and the take down screw (made from some sort of contemporary furniture bolt) was inserted from the right side and threaded into the left. The "screw" was sloppy and the upper/lower were not held in place securely.

It took a few parts (plunger, spring, receiver bushings, take down screw) and a total cleaning of the trigger assembly but it now works the way a Model 14 should work. Dan was a pleasure to work with and I posted a picture of the take down bolt in another posting on the forum, always entertaining to see what folks will do to keep these rifles working.

Jim Peterson
Jim Peterson
30REM14

Re: MODEL 14 HELP NEEDED

Post by 30REM14 »

I finally got back home to NY and unboxed my rifle, and it appears to cycle perfectly. Many thanks to Jim. :mrgreen: