OLD Remington Derringer I just got today. Please help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
JYogi

OLD Remington Derringer I just got today. Please help

Post by JYogi »

I know I know.
I need a picture, I will be adding one tomorrow night.

I bought an old Remington Derringer today from a woman (late 70's) who said it was her Great Uncle's from when he worked for the Govt (todays secret service) ANYWAY! I suspect it is a 41 rimfire. It has wood grips and on top of the barrel it reads
"E Remington & Sons Ilion N.Y.
Elliot's Patent Dec 12th 1865"

It is in average shape.

The # under the barrel is 3703

What else should I look for?
When was it made?
What can anyone tell me about it?

Thanks!
"You won't rise to the occasion - you'll default to your level of training."
Barrett Tillman
DavidFagan

Re: OLD Remington Derringer I just got today. Please help

Post by DavidFagan »

There's 5 variations of that model, the only way to really tell is a good photo of the top of the barrel. That model was made from 1888 to 1911 however based on that number it's not a first variation it's to high and probably puts it's lower end around 1891. Also since it's one of the other 4 that actually isn't a unique serial number but a batch no and any further narrowing of the date I would consider highly speculative but there's certainly more knowledgeable then me out there...

I think the first thing to look for is to verify that the hings are not cracked that will significantly reduce any collector value unless the gun is somehow otherwise significant. The next is pretty general in terms of antiques, the value is based on condition, condition, condition. If any cleaning you would attempt is beyond gun oil and a rag that would be a very bad idea. Also if the condition is merits I would get a small can of Renaissance wax (woodworking places - many found online) often carry this and give it a good coat. If the condition is just representative you might not to spend the money and just give it a good coat of oil.

JYogi wrote:I know I know.
I need a picture, I will be adding one tomorrow night.

I bought an old Remington Derringer today from a woman (late 70's) who said it was her Great Uncle's from when he worked for the Govt (todays secret service) ANYWAY! I suspect it is a 41 rimfire. It has wood grips and on top of the barrel it reads
"E Remington & Sons Ilion N.Y.
Elliot's Patent Dec 12th 1865"

It is in average shape.

The # under the barrel is 3703

What else should I look for?
When was it made?
What can anyone tell me about it?

Thanks!
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer