1858 New Army stainless steel

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
mickeyjm

Post by mickeyjm »

Where can I go for information? I have an 1858 New Army stainless steel, .44 cal, 8"barrel, 6 shot, brass trigger guard, letter "S"on trigger guard, 8738 under ball ram, patented Dec. 17, 1861 or 1881, mfg by Remingtons', Ilion, NY, "CGC" engraved in old english on left grip, "S" on the bottom of each grip, upside down captial "B"on the plate near the wooden grip, "BS" on the barrel, cylinder and frame.
hansenw

Post by hansenw »

I am new to the forum and wonder why so many of the questions have no replies like this one?
Seems to me this fellow's pistol is all wrong- "Stainless?" Wrong patent date??? Sounds like a repro to me.
Bill Hansen, Director
US Army Armor School Research Library
Fort Knox KY 40121-4169
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

My quick guess is that the revolver is a Model 1861 or "Old Model" and that it has been nickel plated somewhere along the way. Other possibility is that is is a "Transition" New Model, which has an Old Model barrel on a New Model frame.
cody6

New Army "Stainless"

Post by cody6 »

Hi,are you sure its stainless steel? If yes then you have a repro.If no your pistol has probably been overpolished by someone. I have seen more than one antique firearm that has been overpolished to a bright finish.Regards Cody
"Once in never out"