Muzzle Loading Pistol

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
M. Kelly Tillery

Muzzle Loading Pistol

Post by M. Kelly Tillery »

I have a muzzle loading revolver with the follwing on top of the muzzle" Patented Sept. 14, 1858 Manufactured by Remingtons Union, NY" Can anyone tell me anyhting about it. Family lore has it that it belonged to my Grandmother's Grandfather who was a Marshal in Arkansas prior to the Civil War. Thanks. M. Kelly Tillery, Esquire, Phil, Pa. tilleryk@pepperlaw.com
hansenw

Pistol

Post by hansenw »

Sir, From the limited infornmation you have provided, your revolver is a Remington New Model Army which was manufactured from 1863 onward so can not be a pre- Civil War piece. Interestingly enough the 1858 date which appears on the top of the barrel, refers to a patent of Fordice Beals, a Remington employee and involves the system by which the cylinder is removed from the revolver by dropping the loading lever under the barrel and pulling the cylinder pin forward. The cylinder can then be removed from the pistol. There were several variations of Remington revolvers featuring this patent and others, however, in 1863 the New Model Army, featuring Beals 1858 patent was sold to the US Army. Because it has the 1858 Patent date on the barrel, this model is commonly, though incorrectly referred to as the "Model 1858. Correctly the "New Model Army," it was made in great numbers during the Civil War and was used extensively in the settlement of the western territiories after the war by both the US Cavalry and in the civilian market..
Bill Hansen
Bill Hansen, Director
US Army Armor School Research Library
Fort Knox KY 40121-4169