M3200 Provenance

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tudurgs

M3200 Provenance

Post by tudurgs »

Back in the late 1960's until the sale of Remington to DuPont, my Dad was a Director for Remington. During that time, he ordered a 3200 with two sets of barrels - both 28". F/M and Sk/Sk. The story my Dad relayed was that this gun ended up as the prototype gun for the multiple barrels skeet sets which were subsequently offered. When the gun was completed it was listed on Remington's books for an outrageous amount of money, becasue of the prototyping efforts on this gun. I've tried to establish this gun's provenance, but have come up short. Remington was no help, and Art Wheaton (who apparently knew my Dad) also has dug around with no success. Is there anywhere else I can try?

Has anyone ever seen another 3200 with two sets of factory barrels? (I'm aware that Simmons did make some aftermarket sets.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Researcher

Re: M3200 Provenance

Post by Researcher »

DuPont acquired controlling interest in Remington Arms Co., Inc. in 1934. Sometime in the 1980s DuPont called in all the outstanding Remington stock and exchanged DuPont stock for it. Sometime in the 1990s Remington had a sale on Model 3200 barrels to clear out their stock. I know several guys at my gun club in Maryland sent their guns up to Ilion for extra barrels at that time. I know one guy, a writer for the Washington Post, asked for one of every combination they still had in stock and ended up with a five-barrel set, four 12-gauge sets and a 20-gauge set. So, from that sale there are a lot of multi-barrel Model 3200 sets out there.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

Not that it matters, but do you know if those barrels are numbered to the gun? (mine are)
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I know a guy who sent in his 3200 and got another set of barrels fitted at the factory. And they did number them to the gun. He is an O/U lover and then some for clay targets, but he hunts waterfowl with the 11-87 I sold him in the blind in 1987. He also owns one of I believe 4 or 5 sets in existence of Kreighoff Royal Crown grade multi gauge guns. (I may have the nomenclature wrong, as I am not an O/U guy)
What could have happened... did.