Remington-Beals Navy Model Revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Bryan McDade

Remington-Beals Navy Model Revolver

Post by Bryan McDade »

I am researching a Remington-Beals Navy Revolver, Serial # 13571. I am trying to determine if it was a revolver purchased by the U.S. Army.

I read a note in Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, 8th edition (page 138) that said:
"Approximately 400 to 500 were sold to the U.S. Army and bear martial markings. Specimens quite scare, most in serial range 13,000 to 15,000."

The serial # of my gun fits within the serial # range of the Army purchases. Now for the markings, the standard manufacturing information is on the top of the barrel. There is also a letter "C" stamped on the gun in at least four different places. The first "C" is stamped on the left side of the barrel. The second "C" is stamped on the left side of frame just behind the barrel. The third "C" is stamped on the left side of the frame just behind the cylinder and below the hammer. The last "C" is stamed on the belly of the frame just behind the trigger guard. There are no visible markings on the right side of the frame.

The grips have been replaced so there is not a military cartouche anywhere on the grips. I have seen photographs of similar Army-purchased revolvers in "The Guns of Remington," compiled by H. Madaus, et al. They have similar stamped letters on the military Remington-Beals Navys, but the civilian Remington-Beals Navys do not have the markings.

I also looked through the Dixie Gun Works 2005 catalog at the list of military inspectors, and could not find a military inspector with the letter "C." (at least not in the time period of the Remington-Beals c. 1861--There was a maker who used the letter "C", but he stopped working in 1854).

Did Remington have an inspector who worked for them who used the letter "C"? Was this revolver made under a specific contract for a state or other entity? Could this be a military revolver? or a civilian revolver?

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Bryan D. McDade, Curator
Old Washington Historic State Park
P.O. Box 98
Washington, AR 71862
Phone: 870-983-2684
Fax: 870-983-2736
e-mail: bryan.mcdade@arkansas.gov
Visit us online at: http://www.oldwashingtonstatepark.com
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Navy Revolver

Post by Jay Huber »

It has been our findings from research that Remington guns stamped with a"C", and it is usually larger than the regular inspector letter marks, indicate rejection by the military inspector and the C stands for CONDEMED. I have seen small c as an inspector mark but usually not all over the gun inspecting different operations. Your gun was probably not approved for issue to the ARMY. Jay Huber RSA