Help with info on a New Model?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
scoutlaw

Help with info on a New Model?

Post by scoutlaw »

I'm considering purchase of a New Model, SN 97935. The SN is strong and barrel matches grip, and but most other markings are very weak or obscured by pitting. I can make out just enough of the three lines on the top of the barrel to know it's right. The only other marking that I can definitely make out is the "D" on the brass triggerguard. The action is very tight on this gun, but it appears to have had some modifications. . .

The front sight has pitting that looks consistent with the rest of the gun, but it looks machined, and it stands a full 5/16" above the barrel and is almost 7/16" long/deep. Also, the cylinder arbor pin is clearly not "right", as it fits much too tightly, is also machined and the head of it is square with grooves on the side. The loading lever may also have been modified to fit around the head of the square arbor pin. The screw holding the loading lever appears not to be original.

I was considering purchasing just because the price was good, but even as I type this I'm beginning to think that the price is so good because of the rather extensive modifications. Nevertheless, would like to know any history associated with the SN and how much the modifications should affect the price/value.

Thanks,
John
Jay Huber
Site Admin

New Model

Post by Jay Huber »

The gun was made in late 1864. I would pass on the gun, the modifications ruin the value. Jay Huber RSA