Please help! I don't know what I have!

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
iselroy

Please help! I don't know what I have!

Post by iselroy »

This Remington has been in the family for many generations and we would like to know more about it, but none of us are gun experts.
It is a 12 gauge 32"single barrell full choke.The markings say Remington Firearms patent 1804. The numbers on the barrell under the forearm is 20631 and 4542. The number on the plate embedded in the stock is hard to make out, but I believe is reads 130631?
Any help would be appreciated because I need to order a part for this gun and don't know what to order!
Thank You!
Dave

Post by Dave »

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values Rem only made 3 different gauged single barrel shotguns:

1) Model no. 3 Rider Single Barrel:
all ga's, single barrel 30 or 32 in., top lever break open, plain pistol grip stock, 25,000 made 1893-1905

2) Model no. 9 Rider Single Barrel:
Similar to no. 3 but with auto ejectors, made 1902-1910

3) Model 90-T (trap):
12 ga. only, 32 or 34 in. barrel full choke, Vented rib barrel, Mat black receiver and wood around the tang area, delux checkered stock and forearm, new in 1992

The older 2 can range in value from just under $400 down to $35 depending on condition of course. The 90-T (which you don't have) is much more valuable.
I think you may have read the barrel markings wrong. I think it should read 1904 as Remington started making guns in 1816 and 1804 would be too old.

Hope this helps.

Dave
iselroy

Thanks Dave

Post by iselroy »

I truly appreciate your help Dave. After you replied I looked at the gun again and then had my father,uncle and sisters look at the gun and it says:
Remington Arms Co.
something? New York
Oct. 30 pat 1804.

This may not be possible since they weren't made until later, but this is what is stamped on it. Mabye it is a misprint or something? Or mabye a different Remington company?
It may have been a ripoff of Remington,but it has been in the family for a very long time...beats me! But again,thank you for all your help!

iselroy
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ok you've got me stumped with an 1804 Pat. date. Maybe someone else can explain it?

Sorry
Dave