Serial: H43983
Barrel lenght: 28" (might be incorrect)
Patents:
May 3 1864
May 7 June 11
Nov 12 Dec 24
Dec 31 1872
Sept 9 1873
Marking under barrel: C1 (when butt stock is removed)

Any ideas of how old the gun is?
Is it possible to obtain ammuntion for this rifle?
T Jackson

.25-20 Rolling Block

Post by T Jackson »

Assuming your rifle is the No.2 Rolling Block, it was made between about 1873 and 1910. The caliber is probably the .25-20 single shot (ss), not the 25-20 Winchester. I know of no one loading this caliber commercially although there might be some custom reloader doing so. Bertram of Australia makes cases and they are available thru Huntington (http://www.huntingtons.com) @ $25.98/20 retail.
Iversen

Post by Iversen »

That's correct. It's not the 25-20 Winchester. My father got hold of some of those from Canada a few years back, and they did not fit. Thats for your help, Mr. Jackson. Do you have any idea about this being a bit odd rifle, while it's so hard to get ammuntion for it?
Iversen

Post by Iversen »

That's correct. It's not the 25-20 Winchester. My father got hold of some of those from Canada a few years back, and they did not fit. Thanks for your help, Mr. Jackson. Do you have any idea about this being a bit odd rifle, while it's so hard to get ammuntion for it?
T Jackson

No. 2 R/B .25-20SS

Post by T Jackson »

Back during it's era it was a popular caliber. It pretty much died when single shot rifles went out of vogue. I've had mine since the mid 1980's and used it for rabbits and coyotes. It can be loaded to equal the .25-20 WCF. Bertram brass is available thru Huntingtons (http://www.huntingtons.com) and any bullet for the WCF round will work in the .25-20SS. I have articles from old gun magazines dealing with reloading if you are interested.
RoyMarcot

Remington No.2 Rolling Block Sporting Rifles

Post by RoyMarcot »

The Remington Rolling Block No.2 Sporting Rifle was first listed in the March 1873 Price List of E. Remington & Sons, intended to be a lightweight alternative to the No.1 Sporting Rifle.

This rifle was made in a variety of rimfire (.22 to .38 caliber) and centerfire (.22 Maynard Extra-Long to .38-40) cartridges.

Its primary distinguishing characteristics are its smaller-sized frame, the curved rear sides of the frame where it joins the stock, and a “perch-bellyâ€