Old derringer

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
skpolitz@aol.com

Old derringer

Post by skpolitz@aol.com »

I was recently given a chrome plated derringer with pearl grips. It is a .41
short rimfire. I can't find a model Number on it but is does say on the top-Remington ArmsU.M.C.CO. ILION, N.Y. There is a swing pin on the right
trigger guard and the over/under barrel folds up for loading. There is a
shell extractor on the left side of the barrel. There is a serial number on bottom of barrel L 76446. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Age or value? Thanks, Steve
R Ricks

I got one too

Post by R Ricks »

I have the same derringer. If find out anything please let me know.
Thanks.

Re: I got one too

Post by Guest »

R Ricks wrote:I have the same derringer. If find out anything please let me know.
Thanks.
wricks@cfl.rr.com
DavidFagan

Re: Old derringer

Post by DavidFagan »

skpolitz@aol.com wrote:I was recently given a chrome plated derringer with pearl grips. It is a .41
short rimfire. I can't find a model Number on it but is does say on the top-Remington ArmsU.M.C.CO. ILION, N.Y. There is a swing pin on the right
trigger guard and the over/under barrel folds up for loading. There is a
shell extractor on the left side of the barrel. There is a serial number on bottom of barrel L 76446. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Age or value? Thanks, Steve
Swing release on the right side by / over the trigger, there is no guard, or this answer
is wrong.
It's a Double Derringe, also called a Model 95, or a Over-Under Derringer.
This is a type III (Model No. 4) which is identified by the writting on the top, so others
that are inquiring if the writting is different it's a different type and values differ.
Made 1912-1935 Estimated Quantity 55,000. Value is dependent on three things
which you haven't listed. Condition, condition, and condition ;)
Also there is a Type III late model which does not have the rib between the barrels
there's only about 500 of these and they are worth significantly more. BUT ; if this
is crome platted it's not one of these unless it was refinished which would be a HUGE
mistake.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Mistrhanky

Derringer...

Post by Mistrhanky »

I believe I may have one of these models as well. It belonged to my Grandfather and was given to me today.

As has been described, it is an over/under barrel with what looks to be at least .40 cal or greater caliber. It needs some cleaning but is either chrome or stainless steel, and has black wooden grips. The barrel release is on the right side and the shell ejector is on the left. The words "Remington Arms Co. Ilion, NY" is stamped across the top, and the number 566 is stamped on the underside of the barrel.

I posted reference photos at http://www.mistrhanky.com/derringer

Does anyone know where I could get some history on this?

My email is reger@mistrhanky.com if anyone should so desire.
DavidFagan

Re: Derringer...

Post by DavidFagan »

Mistrhanky wrote:I believe I may have one of these models as well. It belonged to my Grandfather and was given to me today.

As has been described, it is an over/under barrel with what looks to be at least .40 cal or greater caliber. It needs some cleaning but is either chrome or stainless steel, and has black wooden grips. The barrel release is on the right side and the shell ejector is on the left. The words "Remington Arms Co. Ilion, NY" is stamped across the top, and the number 566 is stamped on the underside of the barrel.

I posted reference photos at http://www.mistrhanky.com/derringer

Does anyone know where I could get some history on this?

My email is reger@mistrhanky.com if anyone should so desire.
Model 3, 41 short Rimfire. Not crome or stainless, no finish and down to steel.
1888-1911, production records indicate 70,nnn produced.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Mistrhanky

Post by Mistrhanky »

Thanks for the reply. I realize it probably has little market value, but after a little cleanup, and a deep well frame, it will have plenty of personal value. Thanks for the help.
DavidFagan

Sentimental is always the highest value ...

Post by DavidFagan »

Mistrhanky wrote:Thanks for the reply. I realize it probably has little market value, but after a little cleanup, and a deep well frame, it will have plenty of personal value. Thanks for the help.
Sorry I can't offer more, I just don't know the doubles well. "type" definition still appears
to be well debated and I've just recently given in to the 4 type classification myself.
So of this third model (not debated I think;) There are 4 (or 5) variations based on barrel
lettering but variation order doesn't mean manufacturing order and there appears to
be duplication of serial in all but the "short line" variation. (yours is a long line).
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
vdegrazia

Derringer

Post by vdegrazia »

If anyone is interested in sell their derringer, email me some pics and maybe we can do business.

Vid D vdegrazia@comcast.net
Danielharp

Remington Rider Magazine

Post by Danielharp »

I have a Remington Rider Magazine. Markings on top of barrel from sight to hammer read: E. Remington & Sons. Ilion NY Riders PAT. AUG 1871

It has a tube fed magazine, no other numbers. It has two pins by the trigger and a small screw under the trigger and a large screw behind the hammer. It is in very good condition either Chrome or nickle.

Any value info or date or Cal. info looks like .32.

Thank you

Daniel
DavidFagan

Re: Remington Rider Magazine

Post by DavidFagan »

Danielharp wrote:I have a Remington Rider Magazine. Markings on top of barrel from sight to hammer read: E. Remington & Sons. Ilion NY Riders PAT. AUG 1871

It has a tube fed magazine, no other numbers. It has two pins by the trigger and a small screw under the trigger and a large screw behind the hammer. It is in very good condition either Chrome or nickle.

Any value info or date or Cal. info looks like .32.

Thank you

Daniel
It could be either Nickel or Silver, most likely Nickel most are. Estimated at 15,000 made
from 1871-1888. The caliber is 32 extra short which is difficult to find apparently even
during the period of manufacture which probably explains why there is a fair amount of
them found in excellent condition. You didn't mention if it was engraved this is one of the
few pistols that are more commonly found engraved. As for value other then excellent
the value drops quickly because of the availability of excellent examples with the
exception of Blue or Case Hardened models which are quite scarce.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer

Re: Sentimental is always the highest value ...

Post by Guest »

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this paticular weapon.
How did you figure out the model # mine does not have one stamped on
it anywhere just a ser#463 on the bottom of the barrels and on the inside
of the grips.
Somehow mine is different from the rest because mine does not break
down it breaks up back over your hand.
It is also nickle plated

DavidFagan wrote:
Mistrhanky wrote:Thanks for the reply. I realize it probably has little market value, but after a little cleanup, and a deep well frame, it will have plenty of personal value. Thanks for the help.
Sorry I can't offer more, I just don't know the doubles well. "type" definition still appears
to be well debated and I've just recently given in to the 4 type classification myself.
So of this third model (not debated I think;) There are 4 (or 5) variations based on barrel
lettering but variation order doesn't mean manufacturing order and there appears to
be duplication of serial in all but the "short line" variation. (yours is a long line).
DavidFagan

Re: Sentimental is always the highest value ...

Post by DavidFagan »

Anonymous wrote:You seem to be quite knowledgeable about this paticular weapon.
How did you figure out the model # mine does not have one stamped on
it anywhere just a ser#463 on the bottom of the barrels and on the inside
of the grips.
Somehow mine is different from the rest because mine does not break
down it breaks up back over your hand.
It is also nickle plated
That's normal hinges on the top and it flips up or typically you would flip it over then open
it to load it. However do so with care actually flipping it open quickly like slapping a
cylinder back into the revolver will break the hinges. You can quickly determine the
type by the writting and then there is further breakdown from there. I'll call them types
others may disagree.
Type I - writting on sides of barrels (three variations)
Type 2 - two line address on top (only one I know of, othen referred to type 1 late production)
Type 3 - Remington Arms Co in one line on top ( 5 variations)
Type 4 - Remington Arms-UMC one line on top
Type 5 - (or 4 late production) Mono-block same writting as 4 no rib between barrels.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer