Remington-Rand 1911A1 - Unissiued

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
Man O' War

Remington-Rand 1911A1 - Unissiued

Post by Man O' War »

Greetings all,

I hope this is the right place for this post.

I inherited this .45 when my father passed away in 1988. In talking about this pistol with a friend who is a collector, he said it was rare to see one in this condition with all the items it was issued with.

I am looking to sell this piece since none of my grandchildren have interest in it. A friend said I should contact Remington and see if they would be interested in it. I was told they have a museum so I emailed them a few weeks ago but haven't heard form them yet.

Any suggestions or advice?

Tad

Below is a description of the piece.

It was given to my father back in the mid 60's by a friend who was a collector and gunsmith.

It’s a 1911A1 Remington-Rand manufactured in March of 1945 according to the serial number.

It is unfired, in its original box with 2 magazines, 2 boxes of unopened ammo, along with an issued holster.

Original box

The serial number ranges, 2180856 – 2220855 were shipped in March of 1945.

The color change on the front of the slide is still visible. (This is due to a required hardening process.) I was told that this rare to find since this typically wears away during normal use. The color change on the front of the slide came when the manufacturer (all 1911A1 pistols after a certain date) was required to do a hardening process on the pistol.

One of the 2 unopened ammo boxes, Lot #1302. From my research this lot was produced between 1940-41. The Frankford Arsenal (F.A.) ammo was non-corrosive beginning with lot #1542 in July 1954.

Stamped on the bottom of one of the Magazines is:

"COLT
45 AUTO."

The Colt magazine has the horizontally squashed lettering with a decimal point only after AUTO., which indicates it is from the 1930s.
The "O" in AUTO is round while the "O" in COLT is squashed.

It also has pinned a base plate.

Colt Magazine toe plate side profile.

The second magazine has a welded base plate and on the top of the toe plate it has the Gothic R pointed toward the magazine body indicating it was manufactured by Risdon Tool and Machine Company of Naugatuck, CT. and is the more common mag.

Ridson Mag upper toe plate.

The holster was made by BOYT (Boyt Harness Company, Des Moines , Iowa ), with the E.T.G. inspectors stamp. I understand this is a pretty common holster.
DavidFagan

Re: Remington-Rand 1911A1 - Unissiued

Post by DavidFagan »

Very nice but your get a LOT more listing it on Gunbroker.com!
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Thanks Dave,

This is all new for me so I'm learning where to get answers and advice.

I'll check out Gunbrokers.com and see what I can do there.

Thank you again.

Tad
remroc

Post by remroc »

Nice gun! You realize of course that a Remington -Rand is not a Remington. That is a different company. Remington made 20,000 or so 1911's in WW1. Remington-Rand made what seems like a million 1911A1's in WW2. Still you have a very valuable gun because of the condition.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Hi Remroc,

Yeah, I realize that Remington-Rand was the typewritter company and was a subsidiary of Remington; I felt this was a good place to get input and/or advice on this piece.

I would like to see it end up in a museum or a place where it can be enjoyed for what it is.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Nice gun, but I don't think it's a museum piece. These are quite common even with the box.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Nice gun, but I don't if it would attract a museum. These are quite common even with the box. I bought one a while back that the box was sealed. Is had to open it and it was covered with a wax paper and full of packing grease. It took a couple hours to clean it up.
Last edited by remington600 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
remroc

Post by remroc »

I was unclear about the relationship between Remington, Remington-Rand and the typewriter busines. It turns out Remington sold the typewriter business in 1866 but allowed the use of their name to continue. Remington-Rand was formed in 1927 from the merger of several companies.