44 Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
BigGrizz

44 Army

Post by BigGrizz »

I hope that you would be able to furnish some information to me regarding a friend's .44 Army revolver. He inherited it when his father died recently and asked me if I could "clean it up & fix it"

It has no finish- someone spray painted it with black paint which I removed with paint thinner
SN: 1265XX
barrel marked "D" on left flat; "H" on right flat

2 lines data: "PATENTED SEPT.14, 1858"
"E.REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, NEW YORK, U.S.A.

Frame marked "H" both sides front; "A" above left side hammer screw head
Brass trigger guard: "D" front
Loading lever: "A" on left side
Cylinder: no SN; has safety cuts between chambers

Can anyove help me properly identify this revolver? I assume it's a transitional model due to the 2 line barrel logo...
huber Jay

Remington Revolver

Post by huber Jay »

Your revolver is a transitional gun from the Old model to the New Model. They apparently had not yet started to put the word "NEW MODEL" on it. How far it transitioned into the new model can be determined by whether or not they are exposing the barrel threads, if they have put safety notches on the cylinder, and they are still using the cone sight on the barrel. Yours probably has the old model cone sight and the high spur hammer of the old model. Around 22,000 serial we begin to see all the NM features being used however this is not cast in stone since many transition models showed up later as Remington used up old model parts. Jay Huber huber7774@bellsouth.net