Remington Model 12-C, 1914 Manufacture: What ammo??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Greg T

Remington Model 12-C, 1914 Manufacture: What ammo??

Post by Greg T »

Hello! Just had this rifle redone with some new internal parts and a relined bore to .22 long rifle caliber. Due to the age of this rifle (1914), what is the proper ammo to use? High speed or standard velocity? Thank you again!
Greg Topp
thorsrig@cheqnet.net
John Gyde

M/12-C

Post by John Gyde »

You mentioned changing some internal parts. That scares me a bit. How is the headspace??? I'd sure start with standard velocity, then check the cases very closely.

John Gyde
Greg T

Ammo for a Remington Model 12-C

Post by Greg T »

John: Having trouble posting here today! Just did a long message for nothing! Anyway, minor parts, breechblock the same. Had the reline done after all else was finished. Shoots well with old Eley Club. Got a couple half inch 3 shot groups at 25 yards from the bench. Fired about 12 rounds of Winchester Wildcat for group size. Did alright but I don't think a diet of high velocity ammo for a rifle of this age from out of the black powder era is correct, even with a relined bore.
Greg T.
John Gyde

Ammo

Post by John Gyde »

Greg:

The bore is not the concern...

There were very few internal changes when the M/12 was replaced by the M/121 in 1936. One important one was a "Beefier Bolt" to handle the pressures of the newer high-velocity loads. I usually shoot standard velocity in my 12s.

The newer WRF ammo appears to be loaded down, so I have shot it in my 12-CSs.

Good luck with your M/12. They are a great gun.

John Gyde
Greg T

Reply re: Ammo for Model 12

Post by Greg T »

John: Thank you for your response. I had to order some standard velocity Remington ammo but that is what I will use in this little rifle. The entire project in getting this rilfe back to functioning was great fun!
Greg Topp