Model 12 Identification

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
redneckyankee85

Model 12 Identification

Post by redneckyankee85 »

I have a Remington pump action rifle, from what i have been able to find out, it is a model 12, that is about all I know, I want to find out what year it was made and what make of the model 12 it is. it has an octagonal barrel, longer than 20 inches (Approximatly 24 inches with threading), on the top of the barrel in front of the reciever it is stamped Remington Trademark 22 Short
On the side of the reciever it says Gallery Special, has a crescent buttplate, and what I guess should be called a semi pistol grip, the only other things I can say about it is that behind the trigger guard is stamped Remington UMC Trademark, and that is stamped on the buttplate as well.
The Serial Number is RW 519042 I think, I found that on the bottom of the reciever. and if it helps, the rifle has a flip up rear sight.

So my questions are, can anyone tell me what year this would be from approximatly, and also what version of the Model 12 it is, I have seen online that there were many different varieties of the 12 made.

Thank you in advance
Wulfman

Re: Model 12 Identification

Post by Wulfman »

redneckyankee85 wrote:I have a Remington pump action rifle, from what i have been able to find out, it is a model 12, that is about all I know, I want to find out what year it was made and what make of the model 12 it is. it has an octagonal barrel, longer than 20 inches (Approximatly 24 inches with threading), on the top of the barrel in front of the reciever it is stamped Remington Trademark 22 Short
On the side of the reciever it says Gallery Special, has a crescent buttplate, and what I guess should be called a semi pistol grip, the only other things I can say about it is that behind the trigger guard is stamped Remington UMC Trademark, and that is stamped on the buttplate as well.
The Serial Number is RW 519042 I think, I found that on the bottom of the reciever. and if it helps, the rifle has a flip up rear sight.

So my questions are, can anyone tell me what year this would be from approximatly, and also what version of the Model 12 it is, I have seen online that there were many different varieties of the 12 made.

Thank you in advance
I think you've pretty well identified what you have......
A Remington Model 12 Gallery Special (use only .22 shorts if/when you shoot it)
The RW stands for Remington Works
There should be some letters on the left-hand side of the barrel which will give the month and year of manufacture.....using the following link.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... odes/?na=2

Here's a link to the Model 12 on Remington's site.

http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... del_12.asp

And, a link to download the manual for it.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_12.pdf

Den
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Yours is a Model 12-B; aka Gallery Special. It was made in 1920, the year before Rem started using barrel codes to identify the month/year of production. The rear "flip up" sight is probably not original to the rifle. It was a factory option, but most were added later. If it a tang sight and has a screw at the rear that goes into the wood it is probably a Marbles. Without the third mounting hole it is probably a Lyman, although King and others also made sights for the M/12.
redneckyankee85

thank you all for your quick replies, I did not realize just how old the rifle was. As for the sight, it is a tang sight I believe, It appears to only have two scres, unless a third is hidden somewhere.

Bill
I have used windows paint to circle the screws in yellow, I am extremely curious to know all I can about this gun.
Thank you all, you have been extremely helpful

remington600

Post by remington600 »

Yes thats a R-12 Lyman tang sight
redneckyankee85

Thank You all, you have been very helpful. now just to figure out if it is worth anything so I know whether to add it onto my insurance or not.
Hagedorn707

Post by Hagedorn707 »

Hi Folks, I just acquired a Remington pump 22. The serial # 25,XXX 22 long riffle. The stock is factory checkered. Perhaps a NRA gun? Has a Lyman tang sight installed. Has a steel mag tube. Any idea what I have?
Hagedorn707

Post by Hagedorn707 »

Hi Folks, I just acquired a Remington pump 22. The serial # 25,XXX 22 long riffle. The stock is factory checkered. Perhaps a NRA gun? Has a Lyman tang sight installed. Has a steel mag tube. Any idea what I have? Also has a round barrel, 22 in.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Your M/12 was made in 1910. The steel mag tube is correct. Most were changed because of rust. My guess is that the checkering is not factory.