Rolling block no 3?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles

Rolling block no 3?

Post by Guest »

I found an old Remington rifle in a gunshop and was wondering if someone could help ID this rifle, it is a .22 with a 28" barrel, the stock is full length with the stock finishing 4" short of the muzzle, it has a curved butt plate, and a takedown lever on the right hand side of the action, it has no serial numbers and no model numbers, it is in very good condition, with a good bore, the only thing that is not original is the tang sight it sports, which is a BSA.
It is quite rare to find such a rifle here in Australia, I paid $100 for it, which seems like a bargain to me.

Thanks in advance

Christian Peterson
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

It has to be a Model 4, but the stock it different. The only Modlel 4's that I've seen with the fore end extened that close to the muzzel was the Model 4 Boy Scout and Military model. But both of those were solid frame, no take down lever, have an upper fore end stock and ladder type sights. Look to see if there is a theaded hole on the under side of the barrel about an inch back from the muzzel.

Interesting, how about some photos?

George
choppa

Post by choppa »

George

It is interesting, I have been searching the net for information, but to no avail, the only thing I could find about a Remington no3 was in my copy of "Old Gunsights, a collectors guide" it made mention of a Remington no 3 .22,

Here are some other details, it has a threaded hole 8" on the underside of the barrel from muzzle tip, has no serial no except for the one that was put on to register the rifle,
has REMINGTON WORKS-UNION METTALIC CARTRIDGE CO.
Remington works Ilion,n, USA Patented July 22 1902
Underneath the Barrel is has a 'D' '10'
I shot it yesterday a recieved a 3 shot group measuring 1/2 at 25 yards, on closer inspection the bore is quite pitted in spots, but seems to shoot nicely. I can take some photos and email them to you if you like, I wouldnt have a clue how to include them in a post.

Thanks in advance

Christian
choppa

Post by choppa »

On forethought I put this post in the wrong section being as the rifle was patented in 1902.
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

Christian,

You may have a Model 3 Military :?: The Model 3 Military has a lever on the side but, it drops the action, it's a falling block rifle. And as far as I know the Militay was not built in 22, but that never stopped the Remington custom shop.

If the lever on you action is a take down lever, I'm sticking with it being a #4. It's the only rolling block that has a take down lever.

George