Model 4 .22 WRF

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
gmoore2

Model 4 .22 WRF

Post by gmoore2 »

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Model 4 rolling block in .22 WRF? I saw one at the MACA show today in excellent condition and I'm trying to find out if it's real. Thanks.
gydemate

M/4 22 rem sp

Post by gydemate »

If the barrel was marked 22 WRF, I'm quite sure it was not correct. Remington did have an identical cartridge; the 22 Rem Special, but it was not made in the M/4 to the best of my knowledge. If you see the gun again, check the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the fore-end. It should have the serial # and 22. There are also very few, if any patent dates on the top of a M/4 barrel. If it was a M/12 barrel modified for a M/4 if would have several patent dates.

John Gyde
gmoore2

M4 WRF

Post by gmoore2 »

I ended up buying the M4. It is marked as you said with a 22 and the s/n at the ens of the forearm, but if you look under the forearm there is WRF stamped into the bottom of the barrel. It does not look like it was added after the barrel was blued, instead it seems as if it was marked while in the white. There are no patent dates anywhere on the barrel. Thanks for the help.

Gary
gydemate

M/4

Post by gydemate »

Some of the mystery is solved & some remains. From your description, your M/4 was made in 1901. It should have a solid frame (not take-down) & octagon barrel. The barrel markings you describe are for a M/4 barrel of that era.

The WRF remains a mystery. The 22 Remington Special cartridge (interchangeable with the WRF) was first offered by Remington in 1914 in the Model 12 Pump. I don't have any records of it ever being offered in the M/4. My guess is that either the WRF was a special order or a gunsmith conversion. Even considering the consistency of the blueing, my bet is that it was not done at the factory.

John Gyde