Shot the 14 1/2 carbine today - wow!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Levallois

Shot the 14 1/2 carbine today - wow!

Post by Levallois »

Well, I took an extended lunch today and went to the range with my 14 1/2R in 38 wcf. I was using some cowboy action ammo with hard lead cast bullets. Thanks to Tom H. and Jim P.'s generosity and selfless help it functioned flawlessly. The only problem that I had was I had some keyholes to start off with but they weren't together - the first mag group went keyhole, regular, keyhole, regular, keyhole, regular, regular, etc. The next group were all regular. What do you think was going on there? Too much oil film in the bore?

What a quick and deadly little carbine this is (and was). My groups weren't great as it was hard getting used to the sights - I need a tang sight for sure - but anything large than a ground squirrel would have been in real trouble out to 50 yards.

John
paul s

Re: Shot the 14 1/2 carbine today - wow!

Post by paul s »

I have a 141/2 in 38WCF that is very accurate, it as a very good bore. I shoot my reloads with a soft cast bullet sized 402, no leading with 7.5 gr. of Unique. Keyholes are not a good sighn, the bullets may be under sized or your bore may be the problem. If your going to want to shoot your carbine you will have to get in the reloading biz and taylor ammo to your needs. Good luck with it
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I don't remember what I did to help with this carbine, these guns come/go out off my bench so frequently I lose track................or maybe I am getting to old to remember.

Like so many older shooters my eyes have given out and anything you can do to help the situation with iron/open sights you must take advantage of. I have several M14-1/2's and on the "shooters" I install the older model Lyman 17 Globe Front Sight (AMI Code). This will give you a variety of front sight options including my very favorite the "aperture", for the non target shooter that would be the one that looks like a doughnut.

Used with either a tang sight or even better on a gun that has an actual receiver sight makes these guns deadly accurate at 75 yards. Above I mention the older model Lyman 17, the newer ones will work just fine but they are not as well made and somewhat ugly. Remember you can put the gun back to the original configuration in minutes but can enjoy the great sight picture every time you shoot it.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
redboy

Post by redboy »

nambujim wrote:I don't remember what I did to help with this carbine, these guns come/go out off my bench so frequently I lose track................or maybe I am getting to old to remember.

Like so many older shooters my eyes have given out and anything you can do to help the situation with iron/open sights you must take advantage of. I have several M14-1/2's and on the "shooters" I install the older model Lyman 17 Globe Front Sight (AMI Code). This will give you a variety of front sight options including my very favorite the "aperture", for the non target shooter that would be the one that looks like a doughnut.

Used with either a tang sight or even better on a gun that has an actual receiver sight makes these guns deadly accurate at 75 yards. Above I mention the older model Lyman 17, the newer ones will work just fine but they are not as well made and somewhat ugly. Remember you can put the gun back to the original configuration in minutes but can enjoy the great sight picture every time you shoot it.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
redboy

Post by redboy »

Jim, do you have any 14 1/2's in 38-40 or 44-40 in good condition for sale? Thanks: Redboy
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Hey Redboy!
A year ago I had all sorts of stuff but I have been in a "parts drought" for several months and my ability to find and assemble guns has been limited. The only 14-1/2 that I have is a 38-40 rifle in nice condition but there is one problem it doesn't have the proper "action bar" so of course you can't do anything but shoot it single shot..........bummer. I made a magazine tube for it, had a gunsmith make a follower, but I cannot seem to locate an "action bar" so it is assembled and is a lovely single shot M14.5....LOL! I even have the loading door, carrier, and all the other necessary parts and it works just fine........BUT YOU JUST CAN LOAD THE MAGAZINE. I will find the part eventually and I always have stuff coming in so I might have another rifle or carbine at anytime (the latter being in high demand).

Sooooo, sorry for the blabby response but in short I do not have a fully functional 14.5 available at the moment. Email me at nambujim@carolina.rr.com
and give me your name, etc. and I'll glady put you on the list.
Jim Peterson
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well you bullets maybe way underloaded. I know some of the cowboy action ammo is loaded soft so shooting is easier and less recoil. Try some standard ammo and see what you get. Key holeing like said earlier is not good sign.