New Model 700 .308 Classic

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
JDNC

New Model 700 .308 Classic

Post by JDNC »

I just picked this up and am pumped. Its in pristine shape.

I'm looking to put a hunting scope on it. The research I've done keeps steering me to a 3-9x40. What's the best bargain there? Leupold's vx 3's and Nikons look great, but pricey. Is there something near 300 that is near the function/quality of the leupold/nikon?

Also, the stamps on the barrel: Left side: RY or RT Right side: Sideways N in a triangle, then REP in an oval, then a symbol of some kind perhaps a # or 2 things stamped close together. Are they standard stamps? Do they mean anything particular/special? My camera sucks .. couldn't take decent pictures.

Is the scope mount standard?
Attachments
Scope Mount
Scope Mount
DIGI0093.jpg (191.76 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
Wulfman

Re: New Model 700 .308 Classic

Post by Wulfman »

Either barrel code could probably correct as the .308 Win. was the LAST of the Limited Classics in 2005 (RY = Nov. 2004) (RT = Nov. 1999) I'd guess it's a "Y".

As far as scopes go, over the years I've had great luck/success with Tasco World Class and their varmint/tactical scopes in various power variations.....straight 6X, 3 - 9's, 4 - 16's and 6 - 24's.

I've had a Tasco straight 6X mounted on an '89 vintage 700 Custom Shop Safari in .375 H & H for about 15 years and it hasn't moved it's point of impact in all that time.

Den
Last edited by Wulfman on Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDNC

Post by JDNC »

Does that look like a standard mount to you that most scopes will fit on? I have lots of gun experience, but almost none with scopes.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

JDNC wrote:Does that look like a standard mount to you that most scopes will fit on? I have lots of gun experience, but almost none with scopes.
The "bases" (in the picture) may be Redfield or Leupold. I have some of each on a couple of 700s, but I'm not sure which is which. One of them looks like the one in your picture except mine are on long action 700s.
You would only need to get the 1" rings that correspond to the bases. You'd need the type that "turn in" (front) and then the two opposing screws on the back bases secure the rear rings.

Den
JDNC

Post by JDNC »

That's good info .... thanks.

Another question. Is there any difference between the BDL and the Classic other than the stock? I understand the only differences between the ADL and BDL are the fancier stock, drop plate and 'jeweled bolt'? What is a jeweled bolt?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

When you get the rings, you'd need to determine which "height" you'd need.....low, medium or high. Mediums seem to work best for me. Lows can be too low and you're scrunching your face to the stock and highs can be too high and you have to take your head off the stock to look through the scope. Depending on which scope a person uses, there can be issues with mounting a scope with rings that are too low.
Also, when I mount a scope, I adjust it front-to-back so that when I bring the rifle to my shoulder, my head is vertical and I'm not "crawling the stock" (too far forward). I also adjust it so that there is sufficient eye relief to the scope and that the cross hairs are "clear" (in focus) against a blue sky.

Den
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

JDNC wrote:That's good info .... thanks.

Another question. Is there any difference between the BDL and the Classic other than the stock? I understand the only differences between the ADL and BDL are the fancier stock, drop plate and 'jeweled bolt'? What is a jeweled bolt?
The "traditional BDL" (with wood stocks) has had a Monte Carlo stock (with cheek piece), black fore end tips, grip caps and a floor plate (to empty the magazine). The Classic only had the floor plate out of that list (and maybe a recoil pad).

Personally, I've always preferred the looks of the Classics. Somehow, the black fore end tips and all the other stuff just never turned me on. I like WOOD. ;)

The "jeweled" bolt is the "engine turned" little circles that are ground into the bolt by a polishing jig.

Den
JDNC

Post by JDNC »

Roger that ... I like the wood look also. I enjoy refinishing old military bolt actions. I'm pleased with my purchase and can't wait to put a nice scope on it and do some shooting.
JDNC

Post by JDNC »

I picked up a Leopold vx2 3-9x40 with duplex reticle from ebay. Never used, in the box still with all the innards for $230. Got the rings here locally. Saved about $100. This is going to be great!!