1900 stock removal

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
rogers_cb

1900 stock removal

Post by rogers_cb »

I'm the proud new owner of a 1900 with a crack in the grip area of the stock. Its not too bad yet and I think I can stabilize it with some epoxy but I can't get the stock off the gun. I removed both the screws that attach to the stock through the trigger guard and the screw located under the top lever. The stock got loose but feels like something is still holding it on. What am I doing wrong?
Researcher

Re: 1900 stock removal

Post by Researcher »

To get the stock off you need to remove the trigger plate.
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

Did you remove the top lever and post that engages the lever spring?
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Here is a "text" for a man years ago that had the same problem, his was a model 1894 but the 1900 is the same.

Getting the stock off is a bit tricky. Hard to describe but following is a description I gave a man in 1997 and he reported it went fine. Naturally this is done in a padded vise and proper fitting screwdrivers.
• Push the top lever to the right so you can see the upper tang screw (57), remove this screw.
• Turn the gun over and remove the two, or sometimes one, trigger guard screws.
• Turn the trigger guard counter clockwise and unscrew. If the forward part of the guard binds against the trigger fronts, it will be necessary to fire both triggers.
• Remove the two forward screws of the trigger plate (46) and the single screw just forward of the triggers. I find if these are hard to break loose, Kroil works great as penetrating oil.
• Trigger plate might be tough to remove, as they are hand fit to the gun. Try a slight pressure upward of the stock. If that does not start the plate moving, it will be necessary to use a brass punch from the top of the frame. Position the punch down in the middle of the frame, against the inside trigger plate and tap lightly to break the plate free.
• Care must be taken to cradle the stock as it usually comes loose rather quickly when the trigger plate breaks free.
• With the gun bottom side up in the vise, the stock will start to come loose with upward pressure on the trigger plate. Slide the plate rearward.
• Remove trigger plate and assembly slowly so you can see how the safety plunger (33) fits within the stock mortise.
• The stock now can be completely removed.

Putting it all back together can be frustrating, as the safety rocker (38) has to engage the safety slide (31) properly. The safety plunger has to slide under both sears (34). Sometimes this takes a few tries. The safety slide should be in the forward, or fired position.

• Take careful attention as to how and where that rear trigger plate screw engages. At times that plate nut (47) can rotate out of phase.
• Once the trigger plate and all other parts are lined up, it may be necessary to use a plastic hammer to gently tap the plate down.

If you had to fire both triggers to get the guard off, the two cocking levers (7) have to be recocked, else the forend won’t go back on the gun properly. Hard to explain how to cock them other than they are pushed down and when fully cocked will loosely flop up and down.

Hope this helps.