1894 question, firing problem, and pics

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
woollybugger

1894 question, firing problem, and pics

Post by woollybugger »

First of all i want to thank everyone who has posted about 1894's on this site. I learned more about these guns in the 2 days prior to purchasing my gun than i know about any other gun out there.

I recently picked up this gun at an auction and have a few questions and hope that someone out there can help me with.
Here is the run down.
serial 132XXX
ordinance barrels - shiny and bright
concave rib
ejectors

Question 1 - the gun has double beads, middle one is white (ivory?) and the front is red. I have seen plenty about ivory beads, but nothing about a red front bead, i'm assuming that this is an aftermarket addition. Can anyone confirm that?

Question 2- the markings on the barrels have a clear C, under that an E, but the last one looks like a Y - Any idea what that is?

And last but not least, the question that i need the answer to the most.
The right barrel fires every time I pull the trigger, but the left doesnt always go. It hits the primer every time, but I'm guessing just not hard enough. Once the gun has been fired, the right pin stays out until the action is opened all the way, but the left pin will drop back into the lock if i tilt the gun back. Does anyone know what the potential issue is? im assuming some sort of spring, and i will take it to a smith, just wanted to see if i could get a little knowledge before i take the gun in.
Researcher

Re: 1894 question, firing problem, and pics

Post by Researcher »

1. The Bradley red bead front sight was not available at the time your gun was made.

2. I don't think anyone has really decoded those letters and hashmarks down the barrel tube bottoms. I've posted this information before, but if someone with a lot of Remingtons, add these to what he has and what is in Charles' book, maybe a pattern will emerge.

1906 12-gauge KE-Grade has /// K E Y

1907 12-gauge KE-Grade has L K E Y

1909 16-gauge KE-Grade has X K E A1

1896 12-gauge AE-Grade has P A

1906 12-gauge FE Trap has /// F E G 13

1894 12-gauge BE-Grade has B J and a poorly struck E or an F

1907 CEO-Grade 12-gauge has /// M

1905 DEO-Grade 16-gauge has X O

In some cases you can get the grade as in the KE and FE. My BE-Grade has Chain Damascus barrels, and on the Remington Damascus salesman sample the Chain Damascus is labeled CHAIN J. So, B for the grade, J for the barrel material and E for ejectors?!? Hmmm....

3. Sounds to me like the mainspring for the right lock is weak/broken/breaking.
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

Thank you for the quick response. Im kinda new to classic doubles, so i may have some dumb questions.
I have read just about every thread for the 1894 on the site, and I appreciate you taking the time to type some of it up again. Like I said, I've never seen a "Y" mentioned in barrel code discussions, and this is plainly a Y, it looks the same on both barrels.
I am assuming you meant the Left main spring is bad, since this is the barrel that doesn't want to hit as hard on the primer. probably from being stored cocked for god knows how many years..

that part looks like it runs $33 at Wisner's, now I just have to track down a smith in the greater Minneapolis area that works on these and wont kill me in labor.
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

Just a thought, ...did Rem code for barrel length with a stamp. This gun has 30 inch barrels on it i believe.
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

Took the gun to the smith finally, turns out the firing pin on the left side was missing about 1/8 inch off the back, broken off at some point.
cheap fix i hope ( havent gotten the bill, but should be less than $60 with labor)