1100 special 12 Ga. questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
cbeety

1100 special 12 Ga. questions

Post by cbeety »

I have a 12 ga., auto, Remington 1100 special serial #N918650 V, with a fixed full choke. I believe it was manufactured in 1993 am I right? Also I would like to know if I can shot steel shot with out damaging the barrel. thanks, cbeety
Virginian

Re: 1100 special 12 Ga. questions

Post by Virginian »

I am assuming you mean a Special Field model, with the straight English style stock. The 'N' serial number prefix started in 1978 and ran until 1985, so I would say that puts it in the '84, '85 time frame. What is the barrel code? Look here: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... odes/?na=1
I would not shoot steel shot through that barrel; I have seen too many damaged with bulges, and yours is too short to re-cut it. You can shoot either Bismuth, Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles, Kent Impact, or Remington HD, or you can have the choke opened up, or you could have choke tubes installed. With the right exteded choke tubes you should be okay with anything.
Regular Model 1100 barrels will fit your gun, but you would need to get a magazine cap retaining detent installed in the barrel gas ring, or you can put a 3/32" cross section 'O' ring under the magazine cap and that should hold it fine. That, or having tubes installed, is the approach I would take for steel and/or tungsten shot. You gun is worth more with that original short barrel.
What could have happened... did.
cbeety

Post by cbeety »

Thanks, Virginian. I looked at the date chart, that is were I thought the "N" was for 1993. The other "N"s were for 1922, 1966. It shows "E" for 1984 and "F" for 1985. Am I look at this wrong or using the wrong chart or something? The receiver is marked Remington Model 1100 SPECIAL, it does not say Special Field, but it is the short 21" barrel, so I think you are right. It's a real clean gun that I pick-up at an estate sale and would not want to damage it. I just took it Dove hunting and it proformed well for me. I was hoping to use it on ducks. I have another off brand 12 Ga. that I can use but it does not feel as sweet as the 1100. Thanks again. cbeety
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

That link I gave you above is only for the barrel date codes, not serial number manufacturing date codes. I got that out of a Remington book. Click where it says Barrel Code Location Diagram and you'll get a big enough picture to see the details.
cbeety

Post by cbeety »

Hi Virginian, It's an "E" 1984. Thank you very much for your help. cbeety
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

hey virginian, i know this is an older post, but i hope you see my question. i have a special field 1100 as well, and just put a new 1100 barrel on it. you mentioned needing a magazine cap retaining detent or o-ring to make this work, butmine seems to fit just fine without. Mine is an early 90's make, and when i emailed Remington about replacing the barrel, they didnt mention anything about having to modify or replace any other parts to make everything fit together. What are your thoughts on this?
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

It fits fine but there is nothing to keep it from loosening. The Special Field barrel had a detent in the barrel ring, like an 870, whereas normal 1100s had that in the front stock piece. The easy route is to get an 'O' ring, and then just snug will hold fine. Don't think that just cranking down on it is going to solve the problem, and you don't want to screw up a nice gun.
woollybugger

Post by woollybugger »

so just to make sure, because its easy for me to screw things up, do i put the o-ring on the magazine in front of the barrel hanger(towards the muzzle end, not the reciever end) or just under the cap? what am i risking braking if i dont? the fore end?
you said a 3/32 cross section o-ring, but what inside diameter? jsut not sure where this ring is supposed to sit.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Over the magazine tube just under the cap. The risk is losing the cap or shooting it with the barrel not held in place. Measure it or take the receiver to an auto parts place.