Question on Remington 58

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
jagger99

Question on Remington 58

Post by jagger99 »

Hey guys, new to the board,

I am helping my wife's family value some weapons that were left behind after her Nana had passed. Her great grandfather was a local gunsmith and shotgun nut and left around 50 weapons.

One in particular is a Remington Model 58, the interesting thing about it is that it is a 28 gauge.

I have had zero luck finding anything with this model and that gauge so I am not sure where the price point would be. I have been told anywhere from $200 to $700 but again, have not had much luck finding a weapon in this gauge to compare it to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jagger
dieNusse1

Re: Question on Remington 58

Post by dieNusse1 »

We do not usually provide value as so many variables come into play and it's usual to have the weapon in hand when evaluating.

However the chief factors are:

First - condition, condition, condition!!!

Second - grade - ranging from plain field grade to the same model with extreme engraving, checkering, fancy wood etc.

Third - rarity

Fourth - what does the market want/support. you might have a rare, perfect, beautiful object but if no one is interested what's the market value?

The range of $200 - 700 could be realistic depending on what you have.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Remington Arms Co., Inc. only offered the Sportsman 58 in 12-, 16- and 20-gauge. At least Simmons in Kansas and Purbaugh in California offered 28-gauge and .410-bore conversions for skeet shooters who wanted to shoot a gun similar to their 20-gauge in the small bore events. Not much demand for such guns today. Really just a curiosity.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

As usual, Researcher is right on. Because of their different balance, a lot of people still prefer 58s. I have only ever seen two 28 gauge conversions. Because of the light recoil, they seem to hold up well.
What could have happened... did.