VERY EARLY WINGMASTER 870 STD. DEER GUN

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
MUSPAC

VERY EARLY WINGMASTER 870 STD. DEER GUN

Post by MUSPAC »

We were recently given a WINGMASTER 870 STD. DEER GUN to sell for a retiree. This 12ga. shotgun is in the original box and is UNFIRED.
It has a 20" barrel and is limited to 2-3/4" shells. Estimated condition is 90%+-. It has one scratch on the left side of the stock, a few minor handling scratches and finger prints. Very minor surface discoloration, but no rust or pitting.
SPECS:
• Barrel Length: 20”
• Caliber if known: 12ga.
• Type of Action: 870 WINGMASTER PUMP
• Any Markings or readable text even if it is only one letter or number. WINGMASTER 870 S/N 109*** OV
• BARREL MARKED: 12 GA. FOR 2-3/4 OR SHORTER SHELLS. BPQ & U (R.E.R)
• ADJUSTABLE RIFLE SIGHTS.
PLEASE GIVE US A BALLPARK ESTIMATED VALUE.
MORE PICS UPON REQUEST
Attachments
REMINGTON WINGMASTER 870.zip
(201.37 MiB) Downloaded 201 times
dieNusse1

Re: VERY EARLY WINGMASTER 870 STD. DEER GUN

Post by dieNusse1 »

The 870 was introduced about 1951 and since then some 11 million have been placed in service.

We normally don't provide valuations since condition is so important. However since yours seems to be NIB I would say it would be worth $400 more or less. Although NIB, it does have wear and damage and I don't feel there is any collector valve. In addition, I assume due to its age it's a smooth bore deer gun. Rifled barrels have been available the past few years and the improvement in accuracy is amazing. In my experience a rifled barrel turned a 50 yard gun to one that can reach out effectively to 100 yards or more using sabots.

BTW - I prefer Lyman sabots as they seem to be a bit more accurate in my '72 vintage 870.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Unfortunately, it is hard to prove unfired, especially with a gun showing any handling marks and 90% condition. The serial number also isn't especially low. I would guesstimate at $300 tops.
What could have happened... did.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

What's the barrel date code?

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/

Doesn't look like a "very early" 870 to me.......maybe in the 1960s.
I have a couple of 870s from the late 60s with slightly higher serial numbers and better wood and checkering patterns.
Looks like a considerable amount of barrel pitting with some on the receiver to me.

I haven't run across many/any 870s in the gun shops lately, but to me, $300 seems pretty high. I'd be guessing closer to $200.

Den