Stock Bearing Plate, Shim

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Chilly

Stock Bearing Plate, Shim

Post by Chilly »

Guys,

Most probably realize the importance of bearing plate between stock and receiver. But the tragedy that I have before me warrants a warning for those who don't know.

Very early 870 used the tapered socket fit to bear the brunt of recoil. The tapered surfaces acted as the thrust bearing to keep things tight. There should be a small air gap between the visible edges of receiver and buttstock. That probably works fine until the wood compresses from recoil and the stock moves slightly forward into the tapered rear of the receiver. When the visible edges make contact the wood will likely crack.

At some point Remington added a bearing plate to solve the cracking problem. The tapered nose of the buttstock was shortened a bit, the bearing plate added, now the stock has a flat surface to prevent the visible edges from making contact.

Plastic stocks dont require this plate, and wont come with the plate. All wood stocks, except very early stocks, absolutely must have the plate installed. Not using a plate results in something like this:
15516157648111371620104.jpg
15516157648111371620104.jpg (667.96 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
1551615726038-536568365.jpg
1551615726038-536568365.jpg (708.35 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Virginian

Re: Stock Bearing Plate, Shim

Post by Virginian »

I have never seen a Remington 870, 878, 58, 11-48, etc. with a wood stock that came without a stock bearing plate. I did not know they ever made them without the plate.
What could have happened... did.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Someday I'll pull the stock off serial 24,XXX and post a photo of the nose of the stock, and the gap if one DOES insert a bearing plate.

After seeing the ruination of this nice TX stock I think I'll fit the stock to accept one.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Pre-plate stocks have a longer tapered end that reaches to the flat part of the receiver, and the taper itself meshes with the corresponding taper of the receiver. This should be perfectly adequate except the notch for the trigger group leaves a large piece of real estate without any support. The only advantage I can see, as opposed to seating against the receiver, is that that bearing plate covers some of the trigger housing notch.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I am assuming they figured the longer length of wood allowed it to compress too much over time due to recoil and then the stock edges would hit the receiver.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Upon further review it's apparent that someone shortened the end of the stock so the bearing plate might as well habe been left out.

I struggle to understand why someone would have done that. Maybe looking to eliminate an "unsightly gap" (you WANT that gap). Or perhaps someone adapted a pre-plate stock and took off too much wood. I doubt this theory because I doubt there was ever a pre-plate trap stock from Remington (dont know cut-in date for the plate, but this is a 1962 gun). Third theory is this is a custom stock (TX would have come with the blond maple wood) and the nose wasnt fitted correctly. It did have a Pachmair pad on it, not a Remington pad.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

Back when, I got a couple of stocks from Remington that came with Pachmyr pads on them. I think Pachmyr made the pads for Remington.